Firefox on Apple???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SueW, Dec 22, 2011.

1. SueW macrumors newbie

My husband wants me to dowload Firefox Mozilla on my Imac [v.10.6.8 Snow Leopard] and I am now accusomed to using Safari. Is it possible to keep both programs on my computer to satisfy both of us??? I'm a very basic home user and not computer-literate; so even if it can be possible, I don't want to jump-thru-hoops just to satisfy his only one desire for using Firefox...

Thanks in Advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. SueW thread starter macrumors newbie

Question

What will be the final result? Will Safari still be my 'dominant' search engine??; will there be an icon on my desktop-toolbar for Firefox so that he can access his program??

Thanks again...[I'm just a little skeptical and gun-shy.....I don't want Firefox to screwup my 'puter :( ]

4. eowl macrumors member

eowl

You can keep Safari as your preferred browser, so that when you click links they will pop up in Safari, and you can have a desktop shortcut for Firefox.

Loads of people have multiple browsers, your computer will be fine :)

Hope this helps

5. mac daddy macrumors newbie

mac daddy

No need to worry. You can have the icons for both in your dock without any issues. At some point, you will probably be prompted by both Firefox and Safari to be designated the default browser, which you can only have one. Aside from that, the two programs create no conflicts.

6. SueW thread starter macrumors newbie

7. chown33 macrumors 604

If you set up separate accounts for yourself and your spouse, then each of you can choose your own default browser. If you already have separate accounts, you're already set. If not, then now might be a good time to do it.

8. Sirolway macrumors 6502

+1

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup about to say the same.

Set up another account for him if you want him to have his own settings (such as primary browser) without changing your own.