Firefox on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by slipper, Apr 26, 2011.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

A particular website I need to access for work requires Firefox. Is Firefox available for the iPad or will it be available soon?

2. JulianL macrumors 65816

No it isn't available and no, the probability of it being available soon (or any time in the forseable future) is approaching zero.

As already mentioned, some third party browsers can be set up to lie to the web sites they visit about what browser they are. Atomic can do this and so can iCab (which I personally think looks nicer). I suspect most good third party browsers allow the setting of the user agent (i.e. lying about their identity) and any of the many <what browser do you prefer> threads on this and the iPad apps forum will give you comments on the options.

One thing to be aware of though, all this does is lie about the browser's identity. All third party browsers, if they want to get on the App Store, are forced to use Apple's Webkit to actually render the sites so if the web site is genuinely doing something that relies on a peculiarity of Firefox's rendering engine to work then it won't work on the iPad. It's a bit like me being asked in a job interview whether I speak Japanese. If I say no I fail the interview and get kicked out. If I lie and say yes then, so long as the interviewer keeps the interview going in English and I end up only ever having to deal with English speakers in the job then my lie was sufficient to get me in and everything is OK. As soon as Japanese really is required though, I'm in trouble and it's game over.

Atomic has a free light version so I suggest you download that, set the User Agent to Firefox, and see if the site displays OK.

- Julian