Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
As far as I know, Apple already allows alternative browsers, but they all must be WebKit-based. This means that Google would not be able to use the Gecko rendering engine or IE it's mosaic-based engine. Add in the Apple's requirements for interface standardization, and any third-party browser would just end up looking like Safari anyway.

In fact, that's what a lot of web-enabled apps are, really: single-purpose web-browsers with a couple of custom buttons.

wintersd

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Firefox for iphone

Mozilla is working with Apple to develop the firefox app for the iphone. The firefox home app has been approved for download from the app store. I think its supposed to be free, but not sure about that at this point in time...

farkingdom

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Mozilla is working with Apple to develop the firefox app for the iphone. The firefox home app has been approved for download from the app store. I think its supposed to be free, but not sure about that at this point in time...

Wow, you dug up a 4 year old thread. I would love if there is a Firefox version of iOS since I'm a Firefox user myself and Chrome has been available on the AppStore for awhile.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
I am pretty impressed with google chrome, it's fast and I like the way it syncs between my iPad and my iphone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.