Firefox on mac fails to detect 3.0.1 update...any update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by daneoni, Jul 18, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

For about a year now everytime a new update is out and i manually check firefox it fails to detect any update. I have to go to the site and re-download/re-install FF.

However on windows it detects the update perfectly

Anyone know whats up is it because i've stripped PPC code off of the UB of FF? cos that's the only explanation i can think of

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thats probably the case.

How did you do it anyway? :)

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I alternate between any of these two first second although it would appear the first one is kinda 'unpolished' in the way it strips

I wish Mozilla & MS apps wouldnt go haywire after UB has been stripped.

4. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

The update didn't show up for me, and I'd used Xslimmer to trim the PPC parts. I had to update manually.

5. muldul macrumors 6502

That's odd, as on my windows computer it wouldn't detect 3.0, but will on my mac

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

FF has never auto-updated for me. I've left the PPC binaries intact.

7. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

So its just something with FF itself then. What's the point of an auto update if it doesn't work. Manually updating is a pain and at some point i'm just gonna stop using the browser completely and not bother. I mean it updates add-ons just fine but never the browser itself which is hella annoying

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i still think the problem is the ripping. If you didn't rip off the half of the package, and till have the problem (with a new profile), then you can report it to mozilla.

Who knows what ripping did, firefox pays a lot of attention on package integrity when updates itself. Slight difference will cause it to download whole package rather than partial package, after all, the security of users data is quite important.

9. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

It's not because I've removed PPC code clevin. The only thing I've done to Firefox is change the icon and install some addons. It finds updates for addons but never for itself. I love this browser enough that updating manually is worth it, but it sure is a pain. When we had XP it would update fine. Now that we have a MacBook and an iMac, no go.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

My previous response was meant for OP.

For your problem, I would suggest a simple test first.

1. Download and install firefox 3.0 ( to another location if you don't want to replace current 3.0.1),
    2. rename old profile so firefox will start a new.
    3. And see if check for update works.

11. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

OK, I thought that post was meant for me. I'll try what you said. Absolutely ridiculous question here. Where is the check for update button in FF? I can't find it in the menubar or preferences. I know it's at the end of my nose. All I've found is the checkbox to "automatically check for updates".

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

OT: this forum is getting slow again....

:)

here is the place you can find "check for update"

Attached Files:

13. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Dang it. I knew it would be somewhere like that. Thanks. I guess the help menu in Leopard searches only the menus other than itself.

Attached Files: