Firefox on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yustas, Jun 8, 2010.

1. yustas macrumors regular

Hello,

I am new to MAC and OS X, but I love my new MBP.

I have heard that Firefox has not been optimized properly for OS X and decreases the battery life. Is it true?

Also, if I install Firefox on MBP, will I be able to use the same extensions I use on Windows 7, such as Roboform and Xmarks, or do they only work on Windows?

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not significantly. What you're doing on the web usually matters more.

Check and see if those extensions are Windows-only.

3. Mirabella macrumors regular

I don't know whether Firefox has not been optimized properly for OSX, but it seems fine. I've had 7 hour battery life with my 17" i7 MBP while using Firefox – so it doesn't seem to me to be decreasing the battery life.

I don't know about those extensions, but my extensions (Word Count Plus, Rank Checker, TinEye) work just fine.

4. iPostpone macrumors member

Firefox works just as well on OS X as it does on Windows.

These are two of my favorite Firefox extensions, and they are both available for Firefox under OS X. Roboform recently released a Java version of their app in Beta that runs in Firefox on OS X. It doesn't have all of the functionality of the full product under Windows (yet), but it seems to work well, and synchronizes my Roboform data through their servers with my other computers running Roboform. Likewise for Xmarks. Great tools that are huge time savers for people that use both PC's and Macs!

5. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

Please correct me if I am wrong, but what you are talking about is Roboform Online version. It even works on Safari; the thing is, I do not want to put my passwords online, even if they are encrypted.

Can I use Roboform To Go from a USB key on OS X if it is formatted as FAT32?

6. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I've been using Firefox since the beta and recently my friend told me about Chrome. Chrome is lightning fast, I made the switch over immediately.

7. andrew086 macrumors regular

me too, I thought I'd never betray Firefox. Everyone's been using Chrome and I thought it was so overrated until I tried it. I thought it would be the same thing as Safari, but it's like the best of Firefox + Safari :p. Actually, one of the things that I was missing from Safari was the Cmd+# to go through the tabs. I always ended up opening a bookmark. Oh, and Chrome has h.264 for HTML5 so I can browse youtube without draining my battery. (full screen html5 player + full screen browser == full screen flash)

8. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

On OS X, Chrome has the same Roboform functionality as Firefox.

9. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Google chrome dominates on OS X. Don't bother with Firefox.

10. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Amen.

11. seventy9ers macrumors newbie

Trackpad

I just took the plunge and tried out chrome. How come the 3 fingers swipe to go top page and bottom page doesn't work on chrome? and the 4 fingers swipe is actually backward and forward to the last page instead of switch app?
    :confused:

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Chrome is great but it unfortunately triggers the dedicated GPU when downloading something, which is more of an Apple bug than a Google one. I don't know if FireFox suffers from the same or a similar issue.

13. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

All I do is force the intel GPU, problem solved.

14. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Problem avoided, not solved. A solution can only be provided by Apple.

15. kasakka macrumors 68000

I disagree. Compared to the Windows version it is much behind. No web application shortcuts support, occasional performance issues, even spell checking can't be turned off.

Overall as far as Webkit browsers go, Safari makes for a smoother experience. Unfortunately it is severely deficient in the feature department but hopefully that will change when stuff like Glims etc is ported to the new extension system. Many Chrome extensions can probably be ported quite easily to Safari 5.

I keep coming back to Firefox on OSX. It seems to work best overall, even though Safari and Chrome are often faster, especially cold startup.

16. McMoronic macrumors member

My opinion

Chrome is yet to be completely optimised for the mac and still has its privacy issues. Firefox on the other hand maybe a little bulky but there is no memory leaks or any issues that put it at a disadvantage compared to any of the other mac browsers. Get grapple yummy and enjoy :)