Firefox or Camino?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CJRhoades, Jan 29, 2008.

1. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

There both made by Mozilla but which is better for Mac? It would seem that Camino would be because it's purpose made for OS X, but I've never actually used it. Firefox is what I've been using as my main browser but I want to give something else a try. Any suggestions?

2. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

They both have their pros and cons. Camino looks better in OS X but the search box only supports Google (although that can be remedied) while in the mean time Firefox also seems to get more attention from the developers. Can't really comment on speed as I no longer have the 'fox installed.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

camino is faster imo. and better.

unless you like and want all the plugins and such that firefox offers

5. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

I really don't care about the plug-ins and themes. I just want something that's fast on my sluggish TiBook and slow EDGE air card.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

give it a try. or give both a try. i think Camino uses less resources though.

the nightlys run great too. www.caminobrowser.org :D

7. Souljas macrumors regular

personally I prefer prefer camino generally, however, I think Firefox is a lot more stable... I have had lots of problems with camino on numerous computers and am now using Firefox!...but if camino did'nt have any problems defo camino

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

problems? really? i've never had camino crash, and thats using it for the past two years.

9. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Camino 1.6 allows you to add search engines. Check the beta out.

10. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I have both installed. I use Camino for my daily browsing and FF for Firebug and the Web Developers Toolbar. I feel Camino is faster and "more mac like" than FF.

11. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I think Camino is faster, but I use Firefox because of the single-window mode, and the Ad-block extension.

12. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Camino should be a bit faster, but I use FireFox because I like the plug-ins, themes, etc.

13. danidoll521 macrumors regular

As many have already said Camino is a little faster, but I prefer Firefox. I would just suggest trying them both out and you're sure to develop a preference for one or the other.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

If a site is compatible with Firefox (but not in Safari) will it work similarly in Camino? The only reason I have Firefox on the computer is the rare site that doesn't work quite right on Safari. More and more sites are making themselves compatible with Firefox (along with IE). I applaud that effort, but wish they'd add Safari to their list. Can't really expect that though, as Firefox has a much bigger marketshare than Safari does.

15. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

I've always used Firefox, but lately have switched to Camino as my default. Although it doesn't have all the extensions of Firefox, it can still be customized by going to http://www.pimpmycamino.com.

Customization aside however, I find it to be much more enjoyable to use than Firefox. Its a Cocoa application for one, as opposed to the kludged-together interface of Firefox. It uses the native OS X Spell Checker, rather than the unique Firefox spell checker. Its Bookmark Manager is also quite a bit better, especially over Firefox 3 (I had nothing but problems with FF3's bookmark management).

And its less resource-hungry and faster to load pages. Overall... a better experience.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Proponent for Camino am I. Mine looks like Safari. :)

17. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I use FF, Camino, Safari, and recently Opera. All are great, but if you haven't already, give Opera a try. It has a new release and has a lot of preference options and looks great, and seems as fast as the others. All said, though, I still revert to Safari for most of my browsing.

18. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I have Camino installed now and I have to admit, it's much snappier than Safari ever was and it opens much faster and takes less resources that Firefox did.

Thanks for all of your helpful posts.

19. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Thanks to NeXTLoop for the pimp link. I found a plugin that makes giving Camino another chance worth a try.

It's amazing that Camino is so much faster, that it's faster than Firefox without ads.

Thanks, NeXTLoop.

20. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

No problem. Glad I could help.

21. joefinan macrumors 6502a

What's turning you away from Safari?

22. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Camino all the way.
    Have not used any other browser the last 2 1/2 years, and I have never looked back.

23. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I use Safari as my primary browser but when choosing between Firefox and Camino, I almost always vote/use Camino.

Can't quite put my finger on it but Firefox feels funny on the Mac platform. I absolutely hate Firefox on OS X but love it on Windows. Weird.

24. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I'm a long time user of Firefox on PC, with Mac is there a reason not to use just Safari? So far I've only experienced positive things. Plus, I like my browsers simple and fast :)

25. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

At the moment I use Camino, but as soon as the final release of Firefox 3.0 is out, I'm switching to Firefox. I just hope the Proto theme is in better shape than it is now when Firefox 3.0 is released.