Firefox or Mac Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by reesewardley, Nov 28, 2011.

1. reesewardley macrumors newbie

I am not sure if this is a Firefox issue or an issue with my Mac

I use Firefox as my browser, however I keep getting pop up windows, sometimes multiple appear even though I have got the pop ups turned off?

I have emptied cache, cookies and still I am getting the pop ups

I have even tried to install other Firefox versions, 3, 5 and the latest and its ok for a short time (hours) before I get the same problem

I have 2 virus checkers, ESET and Macscan

But they don't seem to make any difference

Anyone else having the same problems with Firefox or is there a problem with my Mac?

Thank you

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Virus checkers make no difference. You don't have a virus, since there aren't any that affect Mac OS X.

Firefox seems to be ignoring your selection. Perhaps its preferences are corrupt. You'll find the file at the end of this path:

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist

Exit Firefox.
    Move that file to your Desktop.
    Start up Firefox.
    Better?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you have any ad blockers installed?
    You don't need any 3rd party antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    If you ever do decide to run an antivirus app, you should never run more than one, as two or more can cause conflicts with each other.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sometimes a new user profile will resolve problems like this.
    Virus scanners can easily make your system less secure.
    Some sites of dubious dependability go crazy with popups.
    I use Firefox with adblock and flashblock and have it set to block popup windows. However, there are still ways to cause windows to popup, but it's not frequent and I just close them.