Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
fuzzynavo said:
am i in the minority when i feel that firefox runs much slower on my computer than safari? the pages may load a bit faster with firefox, but the responsiveness of the application is terribly slow, especially when switching between tabs and accessing the bookmarks menu when a background tab is loading. and im not loading pages with lots of java or flash either.

ive tried both the official 1.0 release and the g4 optimized one...both seem equally slow for me.

is this just a problem im having with my own setup? :confused:

The only thing that Safari is faster at is scrolling.

devwild

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2004
For me firefox wins for a couple of reasons -

1) best thought out tabbed browsing system to date (still room for improvement of course)
2) extensions
3) cross-platform, my time is split about 50/50 with OSX/XP

The CPU usage problem actually comes up with every OS/platform and every browser when you open a lot of tabs/windows. Admittedly Firefox/osx/flash/java can be particularly bad, but the fault is largely in poorly programmed flash/java ads that are becoming more and more cpu intensive due to childish design. Java is particularly nasty - one page can bring your browser to its knees. Web developers have got to wake up and learn how to code (never going to happen, I know, the WWW has always been about amateur design). In the meantime we just wait for performance improvements in patches.

Safari is the better browser for OSX, Firefox is the better browser for me.

Side note: My problem with the Mac community when they start griping about Firefox:

If I hear one more person say Firefoxs is/feels like a ported Windows app I'm gonna... It's a *nix app folks, that's where most of it's bugs and inconsistencies with the OSX look-and-feel come from. The buttons and forms don't look like Windows, they look more like X11 widgets (which is even uglier ;) ). MacOS has always been very different in UI design from every other environment on the market, and that makes it hard to make a truly cross-platform application while maintaining consitency between platforms -- some UI design concepts don't even have exact equivalents in OSX, and visa versa.

These mozilla devs are open source advocates, so stop complaning about "windoze" problems and help them out by working on patches in the dozens of bugzilla tickets specifically adressing these problems. Even if you aren't a programmer, you can help out by getting on IRC and helping with troubleshooting -- I've done it, it can be fun, a lot of these people are great guys/gals.

Peace out, hope you are all enjoying the holiday season, and hope you managed to get your hands on a Nintendo DS for your kids already if you needed one :)

dev*

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
devwild said:
If I hear one more person say Firefoxs is/feels like a ported Windows app I'm gonna... It's a *nix app folks, that's where most of it's bugs and inconsistencies with the OSX look-and-feel come from. The buttons and forms don't look like Windows, they look more like X11 widgets (which is even uglier ;) ).

Sorry, guilty as charged. To be fair (or make excuses), I've never used a straight *nix system, and have no idea how it looks - although I have played around with X11, and Firefox certainly does look like it comes from there.

OK, I'm going to go type 100 times: "I will not say Firefox is ported from Windows. I will not say Firefox..."

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
Firefox sucks. Doesn't feel like a proper OS X program, even with Firefoxy. Maybe I'll take another look when they get the widgets right.

Safari is great, when you install PithHelmet to block ads. (Get v0.73, near the bottom of the page. It's the best.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.