FireFox OS?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Mrbobb, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So the FF guys are making their own phone (looks like cheap plastic iPhones) with their own OS. AND Goggle is supporting it. WTF?

2. hyteckit Guest

3. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Why is this strange ?

4. Mrbobb thread starter macrumors 601

Google got Android, why are they supporting (seemly) a FF OS?

They have no confidence Android will last?

5. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Same way how google got chrome and supports mozilla firefox.

6. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Google will just pay them to make Google the default search and will then make Firefox OS apps for all of Google services. They don't care on which OS people are using their services are from...

7. rugbygangster macrumors newbie

Firefox OS FTW!

Firefox OS has just been launched in Europe, soon after South America. It's a decent OS for low end devices with rich HTML5 apps. Try it yourself using Firefox OS Simulator!

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Feels like a skinned/themed Android.

9. Elit3 macrumors regular

HAHAHAHAHAHA Yeah!!! 75% market share....android won't last. That is literally the stupidest thing I have heard today.

Do you know why they support them, they support everyone. Who do you think gave you YouTube, Google Now, Google Maps on iOS, Hangouts, Google+, this isn't weird. Android isn't Google's first priority, advertising is, that is their main revenue gain, this is an advertising scheme. Plus Google like having support for all devices, it is how Google are.

----------

Google support iOS. WTF?
    [​IMG]

10. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Pro tip,

You can access all of Google's services through the Firefox browser.

11. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Just use Google services, they don't care which OS you use them from. That's G's only concern.

12. otismotive77 macrumors 6502

well, it's for entry-level phones, what would you expect and entry-level phone to look like.

13. egoistaxx9 macrumors 6502

wow, didn't knew mozilla had a mobile OS, gonna check this out.

14. asthamapheo macrumors 6502

just another failed OS, they aren't even trying to make apps for it, who'll buy this.

15. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Just played about with the simulator, feels very meh. Reminds me of using Android on a crappy cheap phone. And why is the font for half the system so awful? And why is there no one list of all apps? And why does it come with web shortcuts for Facebook, Twitter etc when there are apps in the store? And why are so many UI elements just ripped from Android?

I'd like to say nice things about it because I like new open source projects, and I use Firefox as my browser, but this is just crap. I can only hope it's improved a lot in the future.

16. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

From my understanding FF OS is meant to bring the rest of the 3rd world/developing nations up to snuff so if anyone is expecting Mozilla to pull out all the bells & whistles they'll be sorely disappointed.