Firefox OS

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by TheMTtakeover, Apr 22, 2014.

1. TheMTtakeover, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

TheMTtakeover macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

I have seen reports that FF OS will be coming to the US this year. The only thing I believe that is available now is http://m.ebay.com/itm/351033890463?cmd=VIDESC . This phone specs are amazingly low. Do you guys think it will come with nicer hardware once it is released in the States (maybe 300-400 dollar range)? Also does anybody have an experience using FFOS? I am looking to switch away from IOS later this year or early next year. I don't want to rule any OS out.

2. Alfuh macrumors regular

If I remember previous stories about FFOS it is to be largely HTML5 based and is designed for the low end market.

It might hit the US this year, but I doubt that any manufacturer will put serious hardware into something destined for FFOS. I see this as an alternative to low end android devices priced $1-200 for devices used on pre-paid plans ... that sorta market.

If you are looking to get off iOS and use a flagship or something close then your options are Android or Windows ... I guess you could reach and see how Sailfish OS or Ubuntu are coming along.

3. TheMTtakeover thread starter macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

Yeah. I was kinda hoping that it would pick up a little bit and get better hardware behind. I would love to see Ubuntu ship on mobile devices in the US seeing as how I do a lot of my desktop computing with Ubuntu. There was no concrete time table on that last I checked though.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It's going to be really hard for them to break the US market. Low end Android is better than the tech space makes it out to be. So is Windows Phone.