Firefox password recovery

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thomsonj95, Nov 3, 2009.

1. thomsonj95 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to recover a password from Firefox, or possibly Safari. It does NOT show up on Keychain Access so I assume that I never actually saved the password, but I was wondering if there's an add-on or a separate program for Macs that will let me recover the password?

Thank You!

2. ridgedale macrumors newbie

thomsonj95,

To view any passwords stored by Firefox select Preferences under the Firefox menu and then click on the Security icon. You will be presented with a window containing a Passwords section under which is located a [Saved Passwords] button. Click on [Saved Passwords] to view a list of the entries for saved passwords and then click on the [Show Passwords] button to be able to view the associated passwords.

Hope this helps. :)

3. thomsonj95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, well I've tried that but the passwords on there are the ones that I've saved. I needed a password that I hadn't saved and that doesn't show up on that list, so I was wondering if there was some other way of recovering my lost password?

Thanks!

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Why would you expect to recover a password on the computer if you have not saved it on the computer? It can't tell you if you didn't tell it. Keychain doesn't capture all passwords, as you've said. You'll have to request a new password, or perhaps the current one from the source, whatever that may be. Using Firefox, so, a web site?