Firefox plugin process maxxing out CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cheeriously, Apr 21, 2012.

1. cheeriously macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro OSX 10.6
    Firefox 11

While checking progress of my software update download (yawn) to 10.6.8, I noticed a CPU-hungry Firefox process in Activity Monitor:

Firefox Plugin Process (Shockwave Flash)

It was using almost 100% of the CPU. I quit Firefox, but it continued to run. Eventually, after not finding anyone else with a similar problem, or any information about it, I killed it and restarted Firefox again, when the process returned to zero, or more normal levels when viewing video, etc.

Any ideas on what started this process, how long it might have been running, and why it was using so much CPU?

2. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Shockwave flash is a plug-in that processes Adobe content on web pages, so it started when you visited a web page with Adobe content. No way to tell when it started now that you've killed the process. If it was still running you could use the native unix command "ps" to gather information on the process. It was using so much CPU because of a bug, most likely, in either the flash content or the flash plug-in.

Did you recently install the Shockwave plug-in? Have you ever noticed this behavior before now?