FireFox Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XFce, Jan 14, 2008.

1. XFce macrumors member

I have a serious problem with Firefox: the cookies for some sites do not work. In other words, when I'm logged into a site, like as the admin on my gallery for example, my session ends immediately. My session behaves normally when I'm logged into my email services, but my cookies behave really weird in other sites.

I have two solutions to this, one drastic and the other not drastic. I can either format my computer and start from scratch, or I can completely rid of computer of any traces of Firefox, including ALL history, passwords saved, cookies, and cache.

I've chosen the latter for obvious reasons.

So my question is: does anyone know how to COMPLETELY uninstall Firefox?

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Hold up on that. If you don't like FF, that's cool, switch to Safari. But switch due to features, not "cookie" bugs.

First off, are you using the latest version of Firefox? If not, upgrade.

Secondly, list all the add-ons you have installed (plugins) - often alot of them interfere with cookie handling too aggressively. List them all, please. Hint, AdBlockPlus if misconfigured can cause those symptoms.

Lastly, in Privacy settings, make sure cookies are set as follows:

Accept cookies from site - checked
    Keep until they expire.
    Remove any "exceptions" in that area of the config.
    If you checked the box "always clear private data", make sure cookies is unchecked in its submenu.

Firefox is an excellent browser and issues like this are explainable and correctable because cookie handling is very basic and similar in all browsers and has been standardized for years. I use FF on Mac (at home) and PC (at work) and no cookie issues to report.

Also, if this only happens on 1 or 2 sites, this is not a fair test - often the software running on that site is misconfigured to expire too soon, session only, or wrong domain or host. If it happens alot, it's your configuration.

-jim

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

to completely uninstall firefox

1. remove it from application folder
    2. delete firefox's profile folder in your library
    3. spotlight search firefox's pref, delete it

4. XFce thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for responding to my thread

I have a feeling fireboxes' ADD Block extension is responsible for causing my Logic board to crash. My iMac is insured so Apple Care shipped a new logic board second day air via Fed X.
    I typed FireFox in finder, emptied everything related to FF into the trash bin. Profiles, chron folders, everything, but trash bin will not empty -Delete the FireFox Logo. FireFox continues to start when I click on the icon. I am guessing I might need to use the command line to remove FireFox from my i Mac, if I don’t, I’m afraid FireFox, might fry my Logic board, again.

5. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I'd ask Applecare about that before doing something as drastic as getting rid of a good web browser. How is it possible for a piece of SOFTWARE to damage a logic board?

Seems incredibly unlikely to me, considering how many millions of people are using Firefox on the Mac...I would try SrWebDeveloper's advice first.

-Bryan

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

People do what they want to do sometimes, the customer is always right!

It's kinda of like taking a car to a mechanic and saying, "I want you to replace the radiator because my car is overheating". Most would, but on this forum you've got a bunch of skilled mechanics who, when warranted, question the premise based on experience and common sense and find that elusive small hole in the rubber radiator hose for a few bucks cost.

Cllevin's advice was correct on how to remove FF (replace the radiator).

-jim

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

..... that doesn't sound right to me. I don't think its possible.

about trash can not be emptied, try using OnyX to force clean trash can.