Firefox problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by irishgrizzly, Jan 7, 2009.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I've an annoying problem running Firefox on my intel iMac (10.5.6). It no longer show data in the address bar, the forward/back buttons don't work & my bookmarks have disappeared.

I'm using the latest build and have tried deleting and re-installing. But it comes back the same. Any ideas?

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I wonder if throwing the preference file out would help. (resets the preferences) Find it in User > Library > Preferences > and find org.mozilla.firefox.plist and drag it to the desktop. Launch firefox and see if it helps. If it doesn't and you don't like anything that throwing the preferences out has done, you can drag back that plist file where it came from and it should put it all back.

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

also uninstall/disable any add-ons (tools/add-ons).

if this fixes your issue, re-enable them one by one, to see if you can isolate an issue.

4. postie4547 macrumors newbie

Firefox

Hello all out there!

I too am having problems with downloads.
    After using Firefox for years on my i-Mac with no problems I have suddenly 'lost' it.. When I try to download Firefox I keep getting the following message:-
    http://uk.yahoo.com/?fr=fptb- ' Page Load Error' and I can get no further with my efforts to download FF.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Bill

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Have you tried downloading it from their site directly? That error message makes it look like it's not. (try here)

6. jackerin macrumors 6502a

If none of the previous tips work, try adding a new user profile in Firefox (Instructions), if the new profile works then it's a file in your old profile that has become corrupted. From here you have two options, either use the new profile and build up your bookmarks from scratch, or find the corrupted file in Home/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/.

I had a strange issue with Firefox where it beachballed whenever I accessed a menu or was going to browse for a file from the HD (for email, etc). I traced it back to a corrupted *.sqlite file in the profile folder (iirc, it was places.sqlite).

7. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Thanks all! This one worked for me. I had tried disabling all the add-ons before and deleting all related pref files. I didn't bother setting up another profile, just deleted and re-installed.