Firefox question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MarlboroLite, Jan 18, 2008.

1. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

This might be somewhat trivial but I didn't find anything on this so I'm going to go ahead and ask away....

I'm a recent switcher to the mac and I am very used to firefox so that's what I'm using on my new macbook....in windows I used to be able to hit the scroll wheel in the mouse on a bookmark and it would open as a tab, in fact I saw this works in safari but it doesn't seem to work on firefox; if I hit the bookmark with a left, right, or scroll click it just opens the link in the same window not in a new tab! Is this a bug or is this just not possible in the mac firefox?

Also...when I had a two button mouse in my windows laptop I could hit both buttons at the same time to open a link in a new tab without having to right click and select 'open in new tab'...does anyone know any way to open a new link in a tab without having to open the context menu and hit open in new tab?

thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I use "Tab Mix Plus" extension, which allows you to assign a type of click to open links in new tabs. For me I set the mouse wheel click to do this. I also has settings for opening bookmarks as tabs.

Tab Mix Plus

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, this is ONE difference between mac version of firefox and others. probably due to how OSX integrates the menu of each application.

and no, I don't think safari can do this.

4. MarlboroLite thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Safari can definitely do this! I just tried it again! If you click a bookmark with the scroll wheel it will open in a new tab!!

:cool:

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I tried it with Safari and scroll wheel-click opens bookmark in current tab, but cmd+scroll wheel click did open a new tab. There's some options in preferences that detail ways to open new tabs.

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You could just press cmd while clicking for the same effect.

7. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

As ergdegdeg said. CMD + click on any link / bookmark and it will open in a new tab.
    If you have a USB mouse, clicking the scroll wheel should open links in a new tab, it does for me.