Firefox Right Clicking Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AndyR, Jun 8, 2007.

1. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

When using Firefox on my XP PC at work I can right click on a bookmark / live bookmark dropdown item and select "open in new tab".

When I try this on my Mac at home as soon as I right click it opens in the current tab, without even giving me the option to open in a new tab. This only does it on bookmarks or via an item on a live bookmark dropdown from the toolbar.

Any ideas?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Right click works for me. Do you use a mighty Mouse? Maybe you have right click turned off?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

huh, what extension do u have? coz this right click on bookmarks does NOT work for me neither.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Right click works for me on bookmarks directly in the bookmark bar, but not on bookmarks in a drop down menu on the bar...if that makes sense. :)

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, correct, same for me.

7. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Normally use my trackpad on my MacBook and 2-finger click works fine in all apps. Works fine when selecting a link in a page but not on the bookmarks or live bookmark items.

Tried with my Mighty Mouse and same issue.

Doesn't work for either on mine, it just opens it in the current tab as if it was a left click.

Very very annoying. Get the problem on both my iMac and Macbook.

8. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

like someone mentioned, get tab mix plus.

9. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Yep works OK, bit strange it doesn't support right clicks by standard but the windows version does.

10. lamadude macrumors 6502

Rightclicking on the bookmarks in the bookmarks bar works for me, on a macbook without any extensions. Maybe you should try to redownload and reinstall firefox?

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i thought he was talking about right click on Booksmarks drop down menu rather than bookmark toolbar?

12. skwij macrumors 6502

This is a long-standing, and known issue with the OS/X version of Firefox. Right click works everywhere EXCEPT the bookmarks dropdown menu.

There's a bug logged at mozillazine, with numerous votes to have this particular issue FIXED.

Even with multiple "right click" add-ons, to enhance the functionality, and provide more options in the contextual menu, this particular one hasn't been addressed yet.

Just a screenie of what my "right click" will allow, but still with the addons, RightClick from the bookmarks dropdown does not work. Until it's fixed by the folks that write the code, this is an unavailable option. I don't miss it any more, actually, but it did take a while to get used to not being able to do this.

[​IMG]

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it actually comes down to a basic UI difference between the OSes. There are other places in Windows where one is allowed to right click on menu items (e.g. in the start menu) to pull up a contextual menu on top of the menu. As far as I know, this never happens in OS X anywhere. So perhaps part of it is just that the concept of having a contextual come up over the top of another menu has to be hacked into OS X?

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

My guess is OSX' app drop down menu is system wide restricted, firefox can not change the behavior of the OSX.

15. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Yep exactly but also got it in the bookmark toolbar as well.

Glad to know its not just me! Got Tab Mix Plus now and that helps with it, saves me having to open a new tab manually before opening bookmarks or live bookmark items.

Thanks everyone!