Firefox saving temporary files to Desktop

danb77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
I have changed my download directory to Downloads, but Firefox is still saving temporary files for helper apps (e.g. PDFs) on the Desktop!

Does anyone know a work around for this? My nice clean desktop is filling up with junk!

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I have changed my download directory to Downloads, but Firefox is still saving temporary files for helper apps (e.g. PDFs) on the Desktop!

Does anyone know a work around for this? My nice clean desktop is filling up with junk!
this is happening for me too

Karvel

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
England
Just skimmed through those two links, but do they mention that when opening a file (as opposed to saving it), it should ideally by saved to a hidden temporary folder - NOT in the users downloads folder (which should only occur when the user elects to actually save a file).

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hello,
so is there a way to tell FF to save temporary files to a folder different which is not the Download folder ? When I click "Open With" I would like the files for to eg /tmp so that they do not mix with my files in ~/Download

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hello,
so is there a way to tell FF to save temporary files to a folder different which is not the Download folder ? When I click "Open With" I would like the files for to eg /tmp so that they do not mix with my files in ~/Download
Nobody ? This is really irritating me :(