Firefox: Search selected text with Google?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cleo, Jun 20, 2008.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

In Safari, I've gotten addicted to using "Search with Google..." from the Services menu, which uses selected text as the search terms. Is there any way (built-in or with an extension) to replicate this, since it's not Cocoa and therefore Services can't be used?

2. danny_w macrumors 601

Sure, just right click on the phrase and select Search Google for ..., and it opens a new window or tab with the results. Be sure to select Google in the search bar first; it will search using whatever is selected.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

also if you change the search engine in search field, the context menu will use corresponding engine as well.

Attached Files:

4. danny_w macrumors 601

That's what I tried to say (or at least meant to say).

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yep . u absolutely did. sorry. i was more want to show u can select and search multi terms (in above pic)

also for op, since firefox allows you added any search engine as you want (Live search, amazon, answers.com, wikipedia, yahoo, ebay, and much more), you can perform search of selected text with all those engine as you want. not only google.

Attached Files:

6. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Sorry, I should've been a bit more specific in my request. I have a physical disability, and right-clicking is less than optimal for me. I manage it when necessary by using Ctrl+click... but since I only have use of one hand and therefore use Sticky Keys, I have to move my hand back and forth between the mouse and keyboard... not really ideal for something I might do 5-6 times an hour. In Safari, I used Butler to create a "button" in my menu bar mapped to the Google search hotkey, so I could just highlight and click, and that was optimal.

So I guess I'm looking either for a way to give that contextual menu item a hotkey, or some other solution.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh Im sorry, there are some method you can consider

1. you can select text within the page and drag it to the search field to the right of the firefox 3's url bar, firefox will perform search automatically, no pressing of any key needed.

2. first select the text, then click it again while holding ctrl will give you context menu

3. autocontext addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5714 this will display context menu upon the selection of the text.

4. install addon easy drag and go https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6639 by default, just select the text, drag it up or down a for a small distance, and then release it, it will perform a search, feels like drag and throw (upwards or downwards)

There are more addons that can probably do the trick, let me know if above two don't fit your need.

Attached Files:

8. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Wow, this is brilliant! Exactly what I didn't know I needed! /grin/

Thanks!