Firefox semi-frozen after sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sequin, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Sequin macrumors regular

I've tried searching for an answer to this, but am obviously searching the wrong thing since I can't find someone with the same problem. Basically if I have Firefox maximized or even minimized in the dock and then close my MBP, Firefox will be unusable half the time when I reopen it. I won't be able to click any bookmarks, type, click through my tabs, etc, but I can still play with the features on the menu bar. Like I can open a tab using the menu bar, but I won't be able to do anything with it.

This problem occurs probably 50% of the time Firefox is open, maybe more often. Usually I just close and open a new browser, but it gets annoying if I have a lot open because it never asks me to save the tabs when this happens.

Any fix for this problem or is it just a general problem with macs?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's quite a leap to go from a problem you occasionally see with Firefox, to a "a general problem with Macs."

Have you noticed the issue with any other application?
    Have you rebooted since it happened?
    How much memory is Firefox using when you have a lot going on?
    Has it ever happened when you didn't have a lot going on in Firefox?
    What version of Firefox do you have?
    What OS do you have?

3. Sequin thread starter macrumors regular

I have the most current version of Firefox and whatever the OS is. I've never had this issue with other programs. I have rebooted a few times since it happened, but it always occurs again eventually. My CPU use is rarely ever high when I do check it so not sure about anything there. I'm new to having a Mac, but if 'wired' is the memory in use, then less than 1GB is even being used. D: I don't run a lot very often. Most of the time I only have Firefox open. The last time it happened I only had one tab up, which was my lesson for a class I have online.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

To find the Firefox memory usage, open Activity Monitor and find Firefox. Then look under the Real Mem column. Since this is happening even with one tab open it won't likely tell us much, but just an FYI.

Something else to look into, the next time it happens, open Console and see if there are any messages related to Firefox that might give a hint to the underlying problem. Not all messages are particularly helpful, but could be of help in troubleshooting.

Not knowing the source, one thing to try is deleting the Firefox preferences and potentially the profile (though backup your bookmarks if you do this second option). The preference file is at,

~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist

The profile:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/