Firefox session question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eoren1, Dec 20, 2007.

1. eoren1 macrumors 6502

I recently switched to the Mac and wanted to see if there was a better way of not losing my Firefox sessions.
    I noticed that if I have several tabs open and click on the x to close the firefox window, I lose that session. However, if I quit Firefox, the session info is saved and my tabs are there when I resume. Is there any way to close firefox (without exiting) rather than minimizing to the dock (what I do now when not exiting) and not lose my 10-20 tabs???
    Thanks,
    E

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm.... do you want to not close Firefox because... (1) you are still using other FF windows, or (2) because you find minimize annoying?

If (1), I'm not sure... there might be an extension of some sort. Perhaps this one. If (2), perhaps you can just hide firefox instead of minimizing it (apple-h works more or less like hiding an app in Windows).

3. garry12 macrumors newbie

In the Firefox 3 Beta (2), you're asked if you want to save your session when you quit. So unless you have any extensions that you need to use that aren't yet compatible, I suggest you upgrade to there or just wait until Firefox 3 is released.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The thing is that the OP is not quitting, as he/she quite clearly pointed out. ;)

5. wightstraker macrumors regular

If you don't want to minimize Firefox, you could just hide it. Hit Command+H to make it disappear, click its icon in the dock to make it come back.

Also, if you're running Leopard, you could put it in its own separate space.

These are admittedly moot points though if you intent is to actually close Firefox for the sake of memory or whatever.

6. odoyle81 macrumors newbie

issue with cmd + H for firefox

I'm not sure why, but trying to hide firefox using the cmd + H function doesn't work on my computer. I have a macbook pro, running 10.5.2. Any ideas?

7. dariusjd macrumors newbie

Right clicking in on the dock and clicking 'Hide' works.

8. odoyle81 macrumors newbie

I think i figured it out. It was an issue with the keyconfig extension I had installed for firefox.