Firefox site looks terrible

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by captainmeowtron, Aug 20, 2009.

1. captainmeowtron macrumors member

I have a website I'm working on. I normally use Safari. I checked the site out using Firefox to make sure everything's going along, and it looks like a nightmare. The subtle colors I chose look like day-glo crap in Firefox. I read that I can adjust my browser to deal with this, but obviously I'm trying to share the site with the rest of the world, not just me. I also had to go back in and put <border="0"> on every single one of my pictures, so that they don't appear with a border around them. This seems stupid to me. Any advice re the color problem?
    [​IMG]

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, at least you recognize that the colors in Firefox are terrible. :p

It looks from the picture that the green background is at least part composed of images, if not all -- is that correct? How are you color managing the images?

3. captainmeowtron thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the entire page is images, including the background. I don't know anything about color management or how to do it properly I'm afraid. However, I just read some rants on the Firefox support forum about color management not working in the browser. Is this true in your experience? Is it worth finding out about color management?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's why I brought it up... :p Safari and FF handle this very differently... but considering their relative market shares, you need at minimum to have your site accessible on Firefox and probably also IE also unless you have a specific rationale for being able to ignore IE users.... ;)

Also, yes, if you want to do web design you will need to understand color management at at least a basic level. Don't worry... there's some good stuff out there to help.

Here are some starters:
    http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html
    http://css-tricks.com/color-rendering-difference-firefox-vs-safari/

Unfortunately these tutorials are probably all written off Safari 3 and probably Firefox 3.0, but they should give you the basic idea.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Just a note on the border=0 part. You can easily take care of that with CSS, rather than doing it for each individual image. Just add the following to your CSS.

Code:
    a img {
     border: none;
    }

6. captainmeowtron thread starter macrumors member

I guess I don't understand what you are suggesting. The articles seem to say the same thing- that Firefox doesn't support color management. Is your suggestion that I adjust the images to look good in Firefox, and then use sRGB profiles? Sorry if I'm being dense.

7. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

You're not being dense, you're well ahead of me! Therefore I am extremely dense :p.
    How are you going to use sRGB profiles, what are they :confused:.

8. belvdr macrumors 603

I believe you want to add that code. :)

9. captainmeowtron thread starter macrumors member

The longer article suggests the use of sRGB profiles over regular RGB. I'm not sure that's really the answer to this problem, though.

Too late, I already assed it. It's not too often I get permission to ass things. :D

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Who swapped my keys :eek:

11. captainmeowtron thread starter macrumors member

Okay, so I tried saving a couple of images using ICC profiles. Here's what happened: my images no longer match in Safari, but the images in Firefox go on still being the same sour green sh** color.
    It says here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gfx.color_management.mode
    that Firefox supports ICC profiles.
    They then go on to say that you have to download an extension for it. Great, I'll just post a note on my website asking all the viewers to download the extension. :mad:
    Does anyone have any real solution as to how to solve this problem?

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Over in this thread it sounds like you may want to try removing the profile altogether. I know next to nothing about color profiles so can't say if it really does help.

13. captainmeowtron thread starter macrumors member

Yes!! Problem solved. Mostly, anyway.

14. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

I have always noticed that FireFox always gives out brighter colours. As proven by what has happened to you. Although I have never had it to that extent.

This is the main reason as to why I always try to have colouring done by CSS and using transparent images. On the curly thing in the middle, trying getting rid of the background of the image and have just the white curly things. Then not only does it decrease the loading time (because of less data in background image) but will give better results, or at least should...