Firefox Slow, Fans Speed Up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hanguolaohu, Feb 27, 2009.

1. hanguolaohu, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

hanguolaohu macrumors regular

I've noticed recently that sometimes if I have over 10 tabs open in Firefox my fans speed up to 5000RPM. I check Activity Monitor and CPU for Firefox is at 100%. Even if I close all tabs except for one, fans will run high and CPU will remain 100% until I close Firefox. Besides this, opening the Application folder is pretty slow, takes 10 seconds to display. I've done repair disk permissions, but perhaps I should try Techtool Pro as well. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    HL

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Un-install Firefox then re-install it, could be dodgy code, or some kind of process leak (like a memory leak, is that even possible?!)

If that doesn't fix it, forward it as a bug report to mozilla, and wait.

3. hanguolaohu thread starter macrumors regular

Just reinstalled Firefox and it seems a lot snappier. Don't know why I didn't think of doing this before. The best part is it retained my profile with bookmarks, passwords, and add-ons. Hopefully won't have the 100% CPU problem anymore. Awesome! Thanks!

4. chapmac macrumors member

I occasionally have the same problem and for me it appears to be when I have a flash heavy website running for some time. Occasioanlly when listening to last.fm this happens as it will be running the background for long periods of time.

If your problem is solved with a reinstall great but but check also you have flash player 10 installed.

Oddly for me simply minimising Firefox for a few seconds seems to stop whatever is churning the processor - the fans setlle down and when*maximising it again Firefox goes without a problem.

I suspect the poor implementation of flash on OSX.

5. hanguolaohu thread starter macrumors regular

I just realized after using my Macbook Pro for a year now that I don't think I even have Flash installed on my Macbook Pro. I couldn't find it in my Applications folder or by doing a spotlight search. But I can look at Flash websites. Does OS X have some Flash capability built-in? Is it possible then since I don't have the official Adobe Flash installed if I have any websites with Flash open it would be maxing out my resources? I prefer to avoid installing Adobe programs as they are bloated and slow my computer down. Adobe Reader is an example.

6. gr1zz1305 macrumors newbie

7. Ames macrumors member

I hate Safari's bookmark system. That alone is a deal breaker.

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I do believe it does, but it can't help to download a Flash plugin anyway can it?

That's personal opinion, I use Safari, but in some cases I easily prefer Firefox.

But let's not hijack the thread any further shall we.

9. hanguolaohu thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried Safari and sometimes use it but I still prefer Firefox. Maybe one of the main reasons was when I use Yahoo Mail the "To:" address box would autocomplete with Firefox and not with Safari. I think that's been fixed now after taking forever. Actually I discovered that Flash is installed as a plug-in within Firefox, and I have it. The other plug-in's I have are Flip4Mac v2.1, Google Update 1 Click Deluxe Installer, Java Embedding v0.9.6.4, Quicktime v7.6, Shockwave Flash v9.0, Silverlight v2.0.3, and Speed Download.