Firefox Slow Lately

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applesith, May 7, 2009.

1. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

My firefox is all up to date. Within the last few days, firefox has been running very slow for me. Whenever I click or do anything, it takes a while to respond. Very frustrating. This is happening on my iMac. My girlfriend's parents are having the same issue with Firefox in Windows. I am trying to move all my bookmarks to Safari, but when I highlight multiple bookmarks to drag and drop, it only copies one of them. Anyone know how to fix the slowness or the dragging bookmarks??

Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Which version of Firefox are you using? In any case, Firefox doesn't support dragging and dropping of multiple bookmarks in that way. Instead, the recommended method for mass-exporting your bookmarks is to use the export to HTML option, then import the HTML file into Safari.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It could possibly be due to this old issue...

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6136_102-0.html?threadID=242416

I was noticing a lot of slowness recently with Firefox 2.x in Linux (I was using the original Xandros Linux distro on my Eee, and it was stuck at Firefox 2), but I re-installed Ubuntu (Jaunty) and FF 3 on Linux as well as FF3 on my Windows XP pc at home and the one at work have been fine. I only used it briefly on my Mac recently, but that seemed fine also.

But the issue above is one that only affects some users on some networks....

4. applesith thread starter macrumors 68020

applesith

Version 3.0.10
    How do I export to the html? I tried but there is no option anywhere. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I found how to export. Sorry...was looking in the wrong place. I exported from Firefox into Safari. All of my bookmark folders are listed under "Bookmarks" in Safari when I click the book on the top left. But, nothing is listed up on the Bookmarks dropdown menu.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Oddly, it's well hidden. It's in the Manage Bookmarks interface window - there's a little pull-down in the top of that window with export/import options. To get to it choose Manage Bookmarks... from the Bookmarks menu.
    This is because the imported bookmarks are in the collections interface in Safari, not in the Bookmarks Menu. To get there, click the bookmarks icon at the top left of the bookmarks bar, then click the folder in there called Imported (date). You can drag and drop them to the right spot from there.

6. applesith thread starter macrumors 68020

applesith

My imported bookmarks are not under Collections, they are under Bookmarks. i am unable to drag and drop them anywhere.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yeah, I called it Collections because it's in the Collections pane on the left of the Bookmarks window. Anyway... moving the bookmarks around is a bit of a pain since Safari makes opening two bookmark managers unnecessarily difficult. There should be a folder in the Collections pane with your imported bookmarks inside. Drag this to the Bookmarks Menu folder in that same pane.

8. applesith thread starter macrumors 68020

applesith

Got it to work! I opened two windows and drag/dropped from Bookmarks to Collections>Bookmarks Menu. That is all working now. Thanks for your help wrldwzrd89! I really appreciate it.

Once last question....
    Firefox supported dividers/spacing lines in my bookmark lists. Can Safari do this? If so, how?