Firefox takes forever to start

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macbook yes, Feb 9, 2010.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

After it bounces in the dock, It takes an additional 30 seconds for the window to open. I haven't done any updates or added any add-ons in the past few weeks, but this just started about a week ago.

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

This problem is all too common...

You have to buy a new mb/mbp. Apple remotely decreases the performance of purchased macs when a new update is on the horizon, in an effort to get you to buy more products...and as we all know the new core i5 mbps are almost here.

you have an aluminum macbook...should be about a year old right?

Its time to upgrade anyway, so might as well.

3. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

So gothamm, what ur saying is dont buy a mac unless you have a nice fat trust find that allows you to spend over £2k a year on a smacking new top end MBP.
    Cause even though the hardware specs are STILL better than those of the competitors a year later, your OSX is doomed because of Apples cartel?

Just drop firefox into the trash and download a nice fresh updated version from the mozilla website. Worked for me, I had firefox lagging bigtime.

4. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, why don't I just get a new computer every 2 months anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually, I plan on having this laptop at least until I graduate from college in 2013.

If I delete firefox, will all my add-ons and saved passwords be gone?

5. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

When I first switched to mac, I used Firefox but got sick of it's slow performance on OSX. I've been using Safari since, with Chrome now on the side.

6. Morris macrumors regular

Vacuum Places

In Firefox versions prior to 3.6 the Places database (which contains your history and bookmarks among other things) can suffer from fragmentation. Places fragmentation will make startup and the Smart Location Bar a lot slower. It turned out to have a much bigger negative effect than originally thought. That is why the latest version of Firefox automatically defragments the Places database regularly during idle time.

For older versions, you may want to install the Vacuum Places extension and run it once. Afterwards you can uninstall the extension again as you generally don't need it that often. Running Vacuum Places once every two months could drastically improve startup time.

Of course, upgrading to Firefox 3.6 not only solves the problem, it is much faster overall so well worth the upgrade.

7. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, I upgraded to 3.6, but now all fonts are bolded. ?