Firefox to Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rory Manton, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Rory Manton macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Hi, after searching the forum, reading and trying all relevant posts I am sorry but I have to ask.

How can I import my firefox bookmarks into safari?

Nout as yet posted seams to work.

Thanks all.

2. Mumford macrumors regular

In Firefox under the Bookmarks menu, choose Organize Bookmarks. In the window that comes up make sure "All Bookmarks" is selected along the left, click the Star-shaped drop down button along the top and choose Export HTML.

Within Safari under the File menu choose Import Bookmarks and import the file you just exported.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Note of "caution"
    I did this once, maybe I did it incorrectly, and I don't remember which way I was going, if you get my drift. Anyway, the result was that all the imported bookmarks were placed in one folder in the Bookmarks Menu. It didn't just replace all the Bookmarks I already had in there. So, there was some editing to do in order to remove duplicates.

4. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Thank you for the help I have now managed to import them.

Not sure how to sort them out now that safari has them though.

Thank you .

5. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

You have to manually drag them over to your Bookmarks Menu when you are in Safari's bookmark window. Organize them however you want with your current bookmarks. If you have duplicates then either delete them or don't drag them over.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

To expand on that...

Start by with the folder the import created. Highlight it, then drag it where you want it to go (...the Bookmarks Menu as suggested above, probably) if it's not already there.

Then expand that imported folder by clicking the triangle next to it. Now you can highlight and drag folders or bookmarks wherever you want them to go.

It can be a bit tricky. If you hover over another bookmarks folder with something "in tow" that folder will open. It happens quickly. If you're rearranging the order of individual bookmarks, a line will appear between the two where your "in tow" bookmark will be placed if you release the mouse button. It is possible to get that line and drop a folder between two folders, but you have to be patient, and quick! Patient: don't release unless you see the line. Try to "sneak" in from the side till you get the hang of the speed, Quick: then "dive bomb" and drop.

7. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Sorry for the delay in posting been round the GF house for a bit!

Thanks for the help all up and running now.A few minor things to sort now like finding a way of blocking posters on newsgroups:D

It may be just a phycological thing but it seams to load and run smoother and faster than Firefox.

Thank you again.