Firefox trojan

Discussion in 'macOS' started by willsy, Dec 15, 2008.

1. willsy macrumors newbie

Ok not a great first post I know.

Basically I've picked up a trojan/piece of adware from somewhere which is effecting my google searches. Every time i search for something my search goes through a site called copy-book.com - then the first link that i click on opens in a new tab and directs me to a shopping site related or sometimes unrelated to the search term.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled firefox several times, as well as deleting my firefox profile inside library>application support>firefox etc.

A scan from MacScan also reveals nothing.

Does anybody have any ideas/advice they could share with me it would be very appreciated.

Cheers

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Does it happen in Safari?

Try removing /Library/Application Support/Mozilla as well. The root Library, not the User Library.

3. willsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yellow - I tried deleting the root library as well but the problem still remains. Safari is also effected.

Tried the advice in that other thread as well. I tried to delete my DNS servers in Network Preferences>Network>Advanced settings but they are grayed out and i can physically select them to delete them.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

OK, if Safari is also effected, I'd suggest logging in as another user (create a test one if need be), to see if this is system wide or relegated to your user only.

If the former, I'd cast a wary eye at what's in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/.
    If the latter, I'd check in ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's actually very likely a DNS attack. Are you using a wireless or wired router? Log into your settings for that (if you can) and change the DNS servers there (you can't change them on your Mac because they're being fed to it by the router most likely), then make sure to change your passwords on the router to something very secure.

I've seen a lot of this happening lately.

jW

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked