FireFox unsuable in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MatrixPrime, Sep 25, 2009.

1. MatrixPrime macrumors regular

Ever since upgrading to Snow Leopard on my MacBook, FireFox is completely unusable. Any time I try and type in the address bar, I just get the beach ball. I have to force quit, and when I relaunch, I get an error page saying FireFox is having an issue recovering. I've gone as far as deleting and reinstalling, and the same issue returns. Any ideas?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Download the newest version, and try repairing permissions.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You may want to try deleting your profile so a new one is created on next launch. Something may have gone buggy with it.

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/

4. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Be careful if trying the above as you will loose all your settings for firefox and cookies etc.

Can you explain what is happening with firefox under snow leopard.

which version of firefox?
    any extensions added to frefox?
    Have you tried repairing the permissions as there are a lot of flash player problems once these are done a lot of crashing stops.

If there is anything that causes the problems post these as I will see if I can reproduce any problems as so far I have none.

I am running 10.6.1 fully patched repaired permissions to fix flash player problems and running firefox 3.5.3 with approx 12 extensions added.

5. dadsgravy macrumors newbie

dadsgravy

First, you should do a back up if you haven't. Then try going into:

Finder>home folder>Library>Preferences

Move the org.Mozilla.firefox.plist to the desk top.

Restart the computer and open firefox.

If it works, delete the old plist. If not, put the old plist back. Try the step that was mentioned above about deleting the profile folder. You can copy it to an external hard drive if you would rather. And that would be better then just deleting it.

If none of this works, delete everything off your computer that has the words mozilla or firefox in them. Then reinstall firefox. If that doesn't work, backup and reinstall the os. If that doesn't work, do with out firefox, go back to leopard, or sell your mac and buy a windows machine. Because if none of this works, the last thing you're gonna wanna see is a mac.

6. OZMP macrumors 6502

Firefox is brilliant in 10.6.1
    Ensure you have the latest version of Firefox.

7. SmugMac macrumors regular

Get yourself 'AppCleaner' trash Firefox, then go to mozilla.org - get the latest version and reinstall!