Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
so whats the verdict?
any good?

rate it out of 10

flaws?

im debating whether to get it. ive been using opera and safari for a while now and im still not sure whether to switch.

does it eat a lot of memory up?

im on a G4 iBook with 768RAM and kinda need to do some web development for my final year project - so i guess i should get it for the web developer plugin right?

oh this is my first post btw
hope i havent posted in the wrong place

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Some people have reported some problems. It tends to suck up memory especially if you leave it on for a long time. I have never noticed it being a drain on my system, but I do have 2gigs of RAM. It tends to crash occasionaly, maybe once a day for me (I use it a lot), although does seem to be happening more these days. For me, there are some problems, haven't bothered me enough to switch to anything else but it might bother you.

prav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Some people have reported some problems. It tends to suck up memory especially if you leave it on for a long time. I have never noticed it being a drain on my system, but I do have 2gigs of RAM. It tends to crash occasionaly, maybe once a day for me (I use it a lot), although does seem to be happening more these days. For me, there are some problems, haven't bothered me enough to switch to anything else but it might bother you.

hey thanks
yeah i saw a coupla threads here
i think i'll stick with safari and opera for a little while longer

and just see how it goes

knowing me i'll be using it by the end of the week

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
On my Mom's PC: Firefox 2.
On everything else: Firefox 1.5

I Don't like F2, and I don't know why. But my Mom likes the latest and greatest all the time. I use 1.5 becasue it is extremely stable, and NOT a memory hog.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to rate it :)

I guess there isn't really anything wrong with it, it's just me.

So 8 out of 10

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
FF2 is nearly as good as Camino which seems to have serious Flash issues *cough* Orange *cough*

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
On my Mom's PC: Firefox 2.
On everything else: Firefox 1.5

I Don't like F2, and I don't know why. But my Mom likes the latest and greatest all the time. I use 1.5 becasue it is extremely stable, and NOT a memory hog.

I am willing to deal with the issues because I really like the features in 2. All the things I wanted in 1.5. A small update to fix the crashing and memory leaking shouldn't be too far away.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
I've been using FF2 since release and I pretty happy with it. Safari is definitely faster but I prefer the layout and the rendering in the FF2 browser. I used Safari exclusively prior to FF2 and I still find myself going back to it every once in awhile (still in my dock next to FF2) if I need to do something super quick like grab an image off of google images.

Overall I'd give FF2 a 7.9 (not quite an 8).

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
I just switched over to an optimized for Intel Firefox version (Bonecho @ http://www.furbism.com/firefoxmac/)

I haven't had any problems yet..

In regular Firefox 2.0, if I left it open for like, 3 hours or so (it didn't seem that long), I'd go to pages and images wouldn't load. I'd then have to quit the browser and restart it.
Anyone else have this problem?
Camino did the same thing as well.

and yes I completely uninstalled it/reinstalled it......

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Firefox 2 is definitely an 8 for me. It still has a few cosmetic issues but I'm still using nightly builds and they're just fine.

The enhancements to plug-ins and themes have been quite good, since it announces upgrades at launch, whenever they're available. The automatic updating of the browser is consistent, too. The text is also looking better than it did in 1.5.x, which looked better than 1.0.x.

I've got less of a reason to use Safari or Shiira now and zero reason to use Camino.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
I'd give it a 6 out of 10. I got inconsistent crashing, some times I'd go to type in the address bar and it would just not work. I'd have to close the window and open a new one. When viewing WMV files, they would appear in random places on the screen, and the play controls would not appear. Some popular forums would not work correctly, and finally it does not look like a profesionall mac app. About the only thing I enjoyed was adblock, but now that I have figured out how to privoxy I don't think I'll ever go back.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I've been using it since the last 2.0 beta and it hasn't crashed once. It doesn't seem to eat up RAM like FF on Windows. I like the small features like remembering the session and the close button on each tab

I can't say I really prefer it to 1.5 because there doesn't seem to be a huge leap from 1.5 - but I would rate it as being slightly better.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
lol, just a 50mb software, do you really need to worry that much before u go download it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.