Firefox vs Camino

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Dec 26, 2009.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I've been using Firefox and Safari. I like both.
    I do like Firefox a bit more. How is Camino. Step foreword or back relative to Firefox??
    Thanks.
    Frank

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I don't like Camino. But if you want a simple browser you don't need any extensions for, Camino could be a good choice. It looks nice and has good features, but I suppose I've just used Firefox for so many years I'd never contemplate changing unless Firefox got really bad. Check it out for yourself and see if you like it; it's been much improved with version 2 released relatively recently.

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I use Safari as my primary browser. I always have had Firefox installed for those websites that don't work properly in Safari but I tried Camino recently and I think it's nicer then FF, it feels more Mac like imho. But if you need the extensions then FF is the way to go. But if your only after Gecko then Camino is better then FF imho.

4. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Camino is faster than Safari or Firefox for me and doesn't crash as much as firefox does. I still use safari as my main browser but i like the way that like firefox, camino doesn't reload a page when you press the back button. This is one of my pet peeves about Safari.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Like most browsers Camino is faster than FF but not as customizable.

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I like Firefox because it saves my pages and log ins for the next time. I can't get Safari to do this,... if it does it at all.
    Also, Safari doesn't remember my Id numbers, etc, etc. I have to continually reenter.
    If there is a way to do this on Safari, I'm all ears.
    Thanks.
    Frank

7. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Safari can save log ins, it can also let you revert to your last opened tabs after quitting.

There is autofill in safari?

Sorry if this isn't what your looking forward to.

8. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Safari can save log ins, it can also let you revert to your last opened tabs after quitting.

There is autofill in safari?

Sorry if this isn't what your looking forward to. <<

THAT'S IT. Where can I set Safari to do that???
    Frank

9. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Camino's great -- I use it as my everyday browser. It's MUCH faster than Firefox, especially once you add a couple extensions to FF to give it all the functionality Camino has out of the box (particularly tab behavior and ad blocking).

It does all the basic things you'd want a browser to, and does them well. It has tabs, great bookmark management, keyboard access, spellchecking, optional click-to-flash and ad blocking, and secure password management (it actually shares its keychain with Safari, so you can seamlessly switch between the browsers and still have your passwords at your fingertips). The newest version has session saving on quit, and drag-n-drop re-orderable tabs, which are the only features I'd missed previously. It's got a reasonably small memory footprint, and 2.0 doesn't appear to suffer any memory leaks.

It's very Mac-like (using a fully native interface wrapped around the same rendering engine that Firefox uses), intuitive, fast, and stable.

The main advantage of Firefox over Camino is extensions. If you need a lot of non-standard functionality or want a lot of customization, you'll prefer Firefox. I use it when doing web development because of a few extensions that make it much easier for me to evaluate what's going on on the page, but use Camino for daily browsing because it's so much faster.