Firefox vs Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by juiceman311, Sep 2, 2007.

1. juiceman311 macrumors member

When with PC, I loved firefox. Since getting my macbook in July, I've stuck with Safari. Is Mac's firefox worthy of the switch?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You might try the other 40+ threads on the subject. ;)

I rarely touch Safari but Firefox on Windows, Mac, and Linux have varying degrees of quality. The Mac version has the most problems, though version 3 is really shaping up to be great.

3. juiceman311 thread starter macrumors member

what browser do you use? and why do you rarely touch safari?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

this topic is discussed every week, do a search you will find any kind of comparison you want in previous posts.

5. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Yeah, this topic is like the proverbial 'dog going back to its vomit'. :rolleyes:

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

On my Mac Pro I really haven't had that many problems with Firefox. It does occasionally hang, but nothing a Force Quit and restart doesn't solve.

I think most people end up having problems the more extensions they have installed. I only have 5 or so....so things run smooth.

-Kevin

7. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Firefox/Mozilla were completely unusable on my G4 PowerBook -- sluggish and frustrating to use. It sent me fleeing to Safari as soon as Safari became available. Now, even though I'm running a much faster Mac, Safari is what's familiar and comfortable to me and whenever I do fire up Firefox is feels awkward and foreign to me.

I sort of understand why the Mozilla folks felt the need to re-invent every single wheel from the ground up that's even remotely necessary to browse the web, but the reality of the situation is a lot less blissful than they'd planned.

If there were a particular plugin I couldn't live without or if I cared about cross-platform browsing (I don't spent any time in Windows or X11) I'd probably favor Firefox. As an OS X only user, though, Safari is a much better experience.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I use Firefox 2.x mostly. When that doesn't work, I use Shiira, which uses the same back end as Safari and when that doesn't work, I use Opera.

Firefox works pretty smoothly for me and has since version 1.5 but it's generally not as trouble-free as the Windows version. At other times, it's much better since it doesn't launch in a minimised state as the Windows version does far too often. Version 3 is still an alpha, unless something has changed in the last few days, and it's quite good. I'd use it all the time but my add-ons don't work with it yet.

I don't mind Safari but I don't like the bookmark handling and Shiira version 1.2.2 handles things better for me overall.

9. peterjun macrumors member

Since I got my mac I've been using Firefox just cause I've been using it on my PC before. Haven't had problems so far except 2:

1. What is the equivalent to Alt+D on the Mac? On the PC this would take you right to the address bar which was a real handy shortcut.

2. When I press the tab field (ex. registration fields) it skips over the check boxes. Is there a way to fix this?

10. seanneko macrumors member

I really don't see any point in using Safari - I won't use any other browser apart from Firefox until others are capable of using Adblock and Filterset G. The only feature of Safari that I like is being able to save web pages as PDF.

Install iSafari and Fission on Firefox and you'd probably think that you were using Safari anyway.

11. mr goosey macrumors member

Firefox vs Safari

Hi all.

Do you think I should dump Firefox, and start using Safari? Will I really notice the speed difference?

What about the Firefox plugins I use - is there any compatibility? I use the really good search plugins, and a Japanese language plugin, and so on. It'd be hard to do without their functionality.

But I do like the idea of using as many Apple-created software products as I can. :)

Thanks in advance!
    MRG

12. NoOrdinary macrumors newbie

If you use a lot of Firefox plugins, then switching to Safari is a bad idea.

That is the one thing that I reallt miss after using Safari as my main browser

13. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Personally I prefer Safari. It's light and does everything I need.

Use it for a while, you can always go back if you don't like it.

Take into consideration that Safari 3 is still in Beta though. :)

14. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Safari on Intel is fast and sleek, and as we know Firefox takes a long time to load up.

However, FF is so customizable that for many it is essential. Give Safari a try, but if you like Firefox's functionality then you may switch back. Depends what you need from your browser.

No harm in trying/using both.

15. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

1. Apple-L (I thought it was ctrl-L on Windows, also...), I think is what you want?

2. I think what you need to do is: System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Full Keyboard Access -> select the All Controls radio button.

You may also get asked to turn on System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Enable access for assistive devices (you should get a prompt if you need this).

17. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

The main opinion I see here is that everyone likes Mozilla Firefox but everyone finds it a bit buggy and takes up valuable memory and CPU so i suggest Camino

Firefox with less features less memory intensive and only for mac

think of it as a glorified Safari

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

doesn't hurt to try it out

also, try out the speedy extension in my signature :D

19. mr goosey macrumors member

thx for the advice, think i'll stick with firefox and try that extension! I really do need the plug-ins that I use unfortunately.

20. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Safari still has issues with some technologies. Or they have a problem with Safari. I can't using it when posting to a WordPress blog. The WYSIWYG editor doesn't work properly with Safari. Which sucks.

Otherwise, I like Safari, but I use Firefox. Out of habit as much as anything.

21. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

If I use Safari with Windows XP to try to respond to one of these entries, it will do nothing. I am looking at a blank page. Thus I have to go back to FF.

Safari is not bad on the Mac & Windows, but FF does so much more.

22. Diaresi macrumors regular

Even without any extensions at all I still prefer Firefox over Safari:

If you click on a link that would open a new page it opens a new tab in Firefox, but still a new page in Safari which is very annoying.

You can't make Safari's download box go away once everything has finished downloading.

Rearranging bookmarks in Safari is a nightmare.

Very small things I know but by default Firefox is better for me than Safari. When you add to that an official extensions interface with such ones as AdBlock Plus, along with better site compatibility (not Safari's fault I know), then Firefox is way ahead.

Safari is a nice browser but for me the only good points for it are speed and it looks better, which isn't enough to sway me.

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Camino is good in some ways, but it's limited, even with the add-on that helps it do quite a few more things. On my machine, it was redundant since Firefox version 2. After Firefox version 3, I believe that not too many people will care about Camino at all.

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I agree... I'm originally a FF2 user, but when Camino 1.5 came out I decided to give it a good test run. I'm still using it, but the annoyance/con list counts about 15 points, a couple of which deemed as "deal-brakers" (while the pro list only has like 5 points). So now I'm basically just waiting for a stable release of FF3 to "jump" back. :)