firefox will not connect this morning??torprivoxy?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stejones, Jul 12, 2008.

1. stejones macrumors newbie

So this morning when I go to use my machine I cannot get online using ff from my account on the macbook , I can from the admin .
    I have my son & his friends over and let them use the machine last night & dont know what they have been doing but this morning I'm stuck but not as stuck as them when they get back later :mad:

there is torprivoxy stopping my connection ?! , I have looked around the net for info but I'm at a loss , anyone know what to do ?

How do I get this thing of my Mac?? is it a spyware ??

This thing will not let me connect anywhere through firefox
    help

Attached Files:

2. fwhh macrumors regular

This has something to do with a system called "The Onion Router" (tor), check in System Preferences -> Network the proxy settings for your network device (Ethernet, Airport,...). If a http proxy is enabled with the address 127.0.0.1:8118, disable it. This will disable the onion router. In Firefox check the prefereces for the network (Advanced->Network->Settings), and in case a proxy is enabled, disable it.

Edit: you may have a look on this page:
    https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-osx.html

3. stejones thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you .

Nothing came up (that I could see ) in System Preferences but I did manage to disable it via FF> Advanced>Network>Settings .

I'd been looking on that page before hand but could not delete the program using Terminal as it informed me "no such file or directory"

I can get on the net via FF now though .
    Would you have any idea how I can get this tor onion proxy totally off my machine ?

appreciate the help

Ste

4. fwhh macrumors regular

Just check the folders and files mentioned on the website.
    If you don't want to use the terminal, you can also use the Finder to look for those files/folders.
    E.g. /Library/Privoxy equals Macintosh HD:Library:privoxy in Finder.
    To view the /usr/ directory in finder, use: Go to -> Goto Folder, and type "/usr/"
    to open this hidden folder.
    If you find nothing, TOR is not installed on your machine, and the proxy settings were a left-over from a former installation.