firefox with Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by yogimac, Jul 24, 2011.

1. yogimac macrumors newbie

I upgraded my mbp 2010 to Lion and after the upgrade firefox is using 50% og CPU and the temp is reaching to 161 f.Is this the case with for everyone.I am also lossing much of my battery pretty quickly.

2. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

Wow! I dont see how. Mine said .6% and 100some mb of memory. That seems VERY high. Granted Firefox is horrible and crashes A LOT now on Lion but no usage like you have!

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Try to quit it and reopen, sometimes applications get a little out of hand and just need to be reset. This happens with me with iTunes sometimes

4. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

simple solution, use chrome my friend. so much better.

5. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Any extensions. I am finding out that extensions whether it Safari or Chrome or FireFox really are causing problems.

6. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I have to agree, I was a firefox user under OS X then I switched to Chrome before I upgraded to Lion, Chrome rocks. Try it, you wont regret it.

7. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

when chrome gets the add-on support that FF has i will change GLADLY,

On topic* i would suggest to drag the FF icon to the garbage bin and reinstalling it. you won't lose your settings don't worry.

8. yogimac thread starter macrumors newbie

i see that Flash is the culprit when i play videos on youtube.What adobe was doing when the beta was out.
    were they waiting for this to happen

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Disable all not needed Add-ons, such as the Flash Player plugin, the Java plugin, the QuickTime plugin and so on, and enable them only, if you need them!

I recommend also Adblock Plus and NoScript. These extensions save CPU time and memory.

10. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

The only reason I like FF is it's options. I like having everything wiped automatically when I close it and not having to do it myself like every other browser

11. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Firefox is a turd anyway. A despicable app that tries to look native but fails horrible. Since most plug-ins are also available for Safari (or Chrome, for that matter), do yourself a favor and forget about it altogether.

12. dyn macrumors 68030

Safari doesn't have that many extensions. Most Firefox extensions and features are not available on Safari. That combined with the fact that it still renders fonts incorrectly is causing me to still use Firefox. At least they've now addressed Safari's vulnerability with some extra Lion security features (they extended the sandboxing stuff). Unfortunately it doesn't start as fast as Fx5 with 3 tab groups and 50-ish tabs on my Macs. It used to be faster. If Mozilla would up the OS X integration stuff than Firefox would kill Safari for me. Flash is something I disable in any browser (Flashblock, Click-to-Flash) because of its performance issues. That seems to resolve nearly all of the performance issues I ever had with any webbrowser (the others being things like speed of the webserver, internetconnection).

13. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

How's that? The Gecko engine is the one rendering fonts all funky-like, not Webkit :)

14. walvis macrumors newbie

I installed Lion on both my MBP and my iMac. Initially Frefox 5 only crashed on my MBP, especially when using multiple tabs. Installing the beta did not help.

After a couple of days, Firefox on my iMac started to crash as well - again installing the beta did not help. For some reason, my iMac also slowed down significantly (and I mean significantly), especially when time machine is on.

15. Tearabite macrumors regular

Tearabite

16. jive turkey macrumors 6502

All real issues I'm having with Firefox are solved by disabling the Flash and Shockwave director plugins. I have horrible scrolling issues with Flash active and even the preferences panes don't load properly.

If I need Flash it is used through Chrome, which handles it wonderfully.

17. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I've been running FF6 with all plugins enabled including Flash(though I do have Flashblock) and I see no slowdowns/crashes. In fact, I haven't had a single Firefox crash since Firefox 4. Honestly. The same can't be said for Chrome or Safari.

18. dyn macrumors 68030

I wasn't talking render engines, I was talking webbrowsers. There are numerous bugreports about Safari not rendering fonts correctly from years ago and they still surface with the current versions. With Firefox they don't. If you compare the fonts from different applications it is very clear that Safari, Chrome and Opera render them differently where some fonts seem to have letters jumping around a little (funky fonts). Firefox displays them as every other application does.

Conclusion: Safari still has major problems with font rendering like they had with nearly every release. If we're talking render engines it seems more logic that webkit has the font rendering problems, not gecko.