Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blueb3ll, Nov 3, 2010.

1. blueb3ll macrumors member

Hi
    I'm new to Mac hence the question: I have downloaded & installed Firefox but can't get rid of the disk image. I've tried dragging it to the bin but every time I use Firefox it re-appears. could you pls tell me what I have to do.
    Thanks

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Have you ejected the disk image? You should see it when you open finder.

3. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

Firefox

I have installed it in accordance with the instructions and also tried to eject the disk image as you said but each time I start Firefox, the disk image comes back and the installation picture appears.

4. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

Firefox

Just to let you know, I deleted Firefox, downloaded it again and re-installed it and this time it seems to have worked OK.
    Many thanks for all your help :eek:)

5. hoopster macrumors member

Did you have it in the dock when you where opening it?

6. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

7. hoopster macrumors member

What most probably happened then was that you downloaded firefox mounted the disk image opened firefox from the disk image then clicked keep in dock, then correct me if I'm wrong installed it properly by dragging it to the applications folder. Then re clicked the dock icon to launch firefox correct? What happened was by re clicking the dock icon you where clicking the shortcut for the file (firefox) that was located on the disk image. Which meant the disk image had to be remounted to open the file (firefox), what happened was when you first launched firefox you where launching the firefox on the disk image and you clicked keep in dock so you where keeping the disk image file (firefox) in the dock, but when you installed it properly by dragging it to the apps folder you made a copy of it which was now located in the applications folder so when you clicked the icon on the dock it open the firefox on the disk image because that is what the shortcut was for. If you had removed it from the dock launched it from the applications folder and clicked keep that in dock it would have solved the problem. Do you see what I'm saying here?

8. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

Firefox

I don't remember but as it was one of the first things I did since acquiring the laptop. It sounds more than likely as I wasn't sure how install it.
    I've since had time to read a lot about various things on the Mac Support site so I now now know a lot more :eek:)
    Thank you very much for your support.