FireFox3....Bookmarks gone so it's back to 2.0.0.16

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zagato27, Aug 24, 2008.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

First of all I'm using Leopard on a 1.6 G5. I've been using Firefox for a while now and when 3.0 came out snapped it up. Everything was fine for a while but then my bookmarks on my toolbar started showing up "empty". For the life of me I couldn't get them back. I couldn't even import them back into the "empty" bookmark folder on my toolbar. Crazy! I did check on the Firefox help pages and found that others have experienced this too. Funny but when I deleted FF3 and went back to 2.0 my bookmarks were restored. I'd dearly love to move back to FF 3 WITH my bookmarks. Anyone have a work around? Thanks in advance. Cheers

2. dws90 macrumors regular

Try exporting the bookmarks to an HTML file from Firefox 2, then completely delete your Firefox profile (to get hopefully get rid of whatever was causing the problem). Upgrade to Firefox 3, create a new profile, and import the bookmarks from the HTML file.

3. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

I've checked under my profile>library>application support>firefox>profile and found an html doc that does list my bookmarks. This is under FF2 but it was also there in FF3. Guess I could try but then I'd like to keep my passwords too.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

password exporter
    for the rescue

copy and paste signon* and key* also works.

5. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

6. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Foxmarks seems to be geared toward syncing bookmarks between multiple computers. Guess I'm out of luck, only the one:(

7. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

sorry i misread your post. have you seen this?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks