Firefox3 vs safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ert3, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

any one have any ideas about when apple will catch up since its a safe guess M$ will not be any semblance of adequate for quite some time as far as IE is concerned.

2. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

3. POWERCOM macrumors member

POWERCOM

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Safari is a little faster, but I like the extra functionality you can hang
    on your firefox and so use it more often.

When Firefox version 3 comes out it is going to be great.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I've used Firefox 2 for quite some time (because I needed two browsers). I recently switched to Firefox 3 RC1, and I have to say, I'm VERY impressed. It's definitely quicker and a much better browser. And with Weave, which will sync bookmarks between computers, I don't need any extensions (which is good, since many don't yet work with v3).

I do like Safari, but FF3 is shaping up to be one nice browser.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

There was a time when Firefox outpaced Safari. Now, I think Safari 3.1.1. has caught Firefox and may even be a bit faster. :)

7. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I use safari for general browsing and FF for web development testing bc of Firebug and the Web Developer toolbar.

8. Dartholomew macrumors newbie

Ditto. FF3 is surprisingly high quality, not that FF2 was bad, but I'm very impressed with what they've done for javascript speed, lowered memory footprint, and subtle design improvements. I've been using it for a few weeks now and I'm definitely a fan.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

outpace is a term for developing progress. Im sure we know nothing about it.

Caught or not. You forgot to mention there is much, much, much more to a browser than one speed benchmark.

Not to mention, if Firefox 3 is faster than safari 3.1, then its faster than 3.1.1, you surely not suggesting there were significant changes from safari 3.1 to 3.1.1, right ? :)

same old word, try for yourself, and make decision based on your needs.

10. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Very illuminating! :rolleyes: I was just expressing my personal experience!

11. Akme macrumors member

Firefox 3 RC2 was released today -- it is extremely fast. If you haven't given it a test, I highly recommend you do so.

12. operator207 macrumors 6502

For myself fast is not as high a mark as it might be for others. I want keychain support. Not through a 3rd party pay product either. I would like to be able to use Safari and FF with the same keychains. It is pretty much the sole reason that I had switched back to Safari in 06, and have stayed with Safari. I have heard there has been massive strides in making this possible, but it has not become a reality from what I understand.

On a side note, I love Thunderbird, but still use Mutt because it does not support the address book fully. Mutt supports it more than Thunderbird does currently.

If am am wrong on any of the above, speak up. I try to use both FF and TB somewhat frequently, but find myself moving back to Safari and Mutt after sometimes only a few minutes.

13. Petey07 macrumors member

I am using FF 3, since i am not used to safari, Does anyone knows how to get WM on the website to be able to play? I don't have the plug-in and trying to find it, but there nothing, I tried dl programs that say it's plug-in but i still can't play the WM videos.

14. fuzeman macrumors newbie

I deleted my Safari Because well after it crashed once it never worked after that LOL!!! i hate Apple but my school uses them so i had to get a apple so i got a MBP!!!

15. Petey07 macrumors member

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I've used both RC2 & 3.1.1. Firefox is fast but i wouldn't go as far as calling it faster than Safari 3.1.1, to me the speeds of both browsers are pretty much the same from my two week testing thus far. I like the expandability of FF even though i don't customize my browsers, i just use them to render webpages. The End.

Also the fact that its open source is a bonus since i'm a fan of the open source

However, i still use Safari as my primary browser because its interface is leaner/easier on my eyes (FF interface just looks a little too ruggedy/linuxy for me) and also integrated support for RSS (probably my major reason...i dont like standalone RSS readers).

Install perian and/or flip4mac