FireFTP remote editing

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Lunja, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

Hi, I'm using fireFTP on firefox to upload to the FTP server. I want to edit files remotely, though when I right click>open with.. There are no programs to select, when I click Add Programs I can add my own though there must be something I am not inputting right as it doesnt work.

This image below shows the Add Programs menu, Ive added html to the left and text edit to the right using the boxes at the bottom, is there somethnig thats meant to go into arguments, if so, what?

Thanks

http://www.peaksecrets.co.uk/Picture1.jpg

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

It says leave arguments blank and the filename will be passed instead. For textedit, that's fine. However for other fancy apps they may require arguments of a specific syntax or a specific sequence and the help says use %file% to replace the filename when doing so.

Foobar Example:

Application named "XEditor" takes two arguments according to its user guide or manaul, "-f" to pass the filename and "-w" to convert CRLF to Mac format from Windows format which is a nice feature.

For argument setup in FireFTP type in: "-f %file% -w"

-jim

3. leonchames macrumors newbie

FireFTP remote editing bug

This is a bug within FireFTP that has a workaround.

If you want to use TextEdit.app to open remote files you need to go into the package contents of the .app. You can right click TextEdit.app and click "Show Package Contents" and you'll see that the actual path for the application is

/Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit

If you use that in the Path field, you'll see that you'll be able to edit those remote files.

Hope that helps.