HomeKit Fireplace Switch For Homekit?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Macaddict16, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

I have a gas fireplace with a wall switch to turn the fire on and off. I would like to add it to HomeKit to be able to create scenes with the fireplace in it. Would a regular on/off HomeKit switch work for that? Is there anything special I would need to consider before wiring this up? I currently have the lutron casseta system throughout my house and it would be great to swap this out with the same setup.
    Thanks!
    Macaddict16

2. rworne macrumors 6502a

As much as I love Lutron's Homekit solution, they do not have anything that isn't a lamp switch.

The closest they have is the PD-6ANS, which is a non-dimmable light/fan switch. It's not rated for anything else though. I think a fireplace would not put too much of a load on it, but I'd ask an electrician about it.

3. parseckadet macrumors 65816

parseckadet

I would think twice about this one. Smart light switches are great and all, but when it comes to anything involving fire and/or explosive gas...

4. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

I think that wires from the fireplace to the remote switch carry only 12 volts DC. Would that be enough to actually power a homekit enabled switch?

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

That's how mine is. It *looks* like a regular wall switch, but it's just a low-voltage "on/off" button (as you described).

6. Macaddict16 thread starter macrumors 6502

I’m guessing there aren’t any low voltage home kit switches?

I don’t ever plan on using the switch when I’m not home and really only want it to be able to use it as part of a scene.