Firepod question

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
On the back of my Firepod their are 8 TRS balanced 1/4" output's.

I was told that these are not through puts, so I couldn't just plug say..a guitar into the front, and have the sound come out the back...

no, i was told these outputs would be used for something like "submixes" and other routing options...from the software I guess??

wha?

I don't get it.

Can someone explain what I would use those 8 outputs on the back of the firepod for?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i was told these outputs would be used for something like "submixes" and other routing options...from the software I guess??
not having used one, i'd assume they were the outputs 1-8 available for you @ mixdown. if you wanted to do hardware inserts or mix out of the box, that is. the software is whatever DAW you're using.

throughput? it'd be a nice feature for low-latency monitoring, but i couldn't say whether presonus offers that feature. fwiw, my rosetta800 does, and i can configure it either through apogee software (if i'm using the firewire card), or i can configure that on the front panel.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
hey there you are Zim, thanks

so,

After I've recorded all my tracks (did that today)

I can then use my Firepod, on the Mac running Logic with all the tracks, and have the 1-8 outputs "output" the sound of each recorded track to a PA, or hardware mixer....or something. ?

So I could, send the sounds of each track "out" to a mixer.

kind of defeats the purpose of using firewire>DAW for mixing no?

hmmmm, still kinda foggy on what i'd use those outputs for....

:eek:

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
I can then use my Firepod, on the Mac running Logic with all the tracks, and have the 1-8 outputs "output" the sound of each recorded track to a PA, or hardware mixer....or something. ?
yes.

So I could, send the sounds of each track "out" to a mixer.

kind of defeats the purpose of using firewire>DAW for mixing no?
defeats what purpose? i don't understand.

they are useful for mixdown, if you have external hardware you want to use. e.g. you may have an EQ/compressor chain you want to use for lead vox, you can use a hardware insert (and a firepod channel of d/a then a/d).

or, if you want to do your whole mixdown in analog, you can mix down to 8 channels in the DAW, then send those 8 channels out through d/a into your mixer.

that's similiar to what i do. i send out 16 tracks to a folcrom, using all my hardware compressors and such, mix down to 2 channels, send that through a compressor, then record the stereo mix back into pro tools.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nice, thanks Zim
it's all starting to make sense now.:)

yes.
you may have an EQ/compressor chain you want to use for lead vox, you can use a hardware insert (and a firepod channel of d/a then a/d).
So I would send the lead vocals going into firepod channel one->into Logic channel one->out from firepod channel one out->into EQ/compressor chain ->back into Firepod? just kind of confused on "firepod channel of d/a then a/d"

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
So I would send the lead vocals going into firepod channel one->into Logic channel one->out from firepod channel one out->into EQ/compressor chain ->back into Firepod? just kind of confused on "firepod channel of d/a then a/d"
no, i was talking about mixdown.

if you want to use, say, an 1176 during tracking, then the chain is:

mic -> pre -> 1176 -> firepod a/d -> DAW

but if you want to use it at mixdown, it's:

DAW -> firepod d/a -> 1176 -> firepod a/d -> DAW

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
but if you want to use it at mixdown, it's:

DAW -> firepod d/a -> 1176 -> firepod a/d -> DAW
lol

last question i promise.

So my question lies in the firepod a/d -> DAW from the above chain

where would that input be? A whole new channel? back into the firepod again on the front?

or

on the back of that pic of the firepod in the first post, there are line in's 1 and 2..is that where? and does that mean i can only use external hardware, at mixdown, on channel's one and two?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
you want the line in's when coming back in. looking on this page, it says:
• 8 Analog Mic/Line Inputs, 2 Instrument Inputs
looks to me that line ins 1 and 2 are on the back, and 3-8 are on the front. any would work for this purpose. so a total of 8 hardware inserts are available to you at mixdown.

in the DAW, you can either use a hardware insert (no new track), or record a new track with the effect applied (through bussing and then a hardware insert). some people print the effect in case they ever need to recall and the hardware piece may be gone for whatever reason.

in PTLE, anyway, a hardware insert looks just like a plug-in, except i know it's going out to real hardware.

is this a relevant issue? do you have hardware you use @ mixdown?