Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hello,
I have two accounts on my mac and I would like to use FireVault 2 (Lion) to encrypt only the home directory of one of those users. Is this possible ?

Everything I read about FileVault 2 is that it supports the Whole Disk Encryption but this is not what I need.

cheers,
Tex

swixo

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Hello,
I have two accounts on my mac and I would like to use FireVault 2 (Lion) to encrypt only the home directory of one of those users. Is this possible ?

Everything I read about FileVault 2 is that it supports the Whole Disk Encryption but this is not what I need.

cheers,
Tex

No. It is all or nothing.

s

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
As swixo said, it is the whole drive or nothing. That said, it is pretty transparent and I don't see why you would not just use it for the whole drive. Your secondary user accounts would never even know if you did not tell them.

swixo

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
As swixo said, it is the whole drive or nothing. That said, it is pretty transparent and I don't see why you would not just use it for the whole drive. Your secondary user accounts would never even know if you did not tell them.

Filevault 2 is pretty good. I hardly notice any performance hit at all.

s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.