Firewall and AV required on OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pebbleheed, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Pebbleheed macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've recently stopped being a Windows user after nearly 20 years, having recently bought a Macbook Pro 13 from the Apple Store. I know very little about OSX and I'm learning quite quickly, but the subject of anti virus and firewalls appears to be something I can't resolve, despite numerous Google searches.

Can anyone advise, do Macs need AV software and do they need a firewall?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

There is a firewall in your router and a firewall built into Mac OS X.

As for viruses, currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

3. Pebbleheed thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I can see the Mac OSX firewall only protects from incoming connections, it doesn't seem to do anything about outbound connections. If that's the case it only does half the job?

4. simsaladimbamba

If that is important to you, then take a look at Little Snitch if OS X does not provide that feature.

5. Pebbleheed thread starter macrumors newbie

6. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

a file wall either hardware or software based is a necessity. Most modern router can be configured to suite.

As for anti-virus software, if you are connected to a network with windows machines some people advocate it to prevent thje threat of passing on viruses even in the OSX machine is immune.

7. Pebbleheed thread starter macrumors newbie

I've gone with little snitch and that seems decent. I'd never run a windows machine without a firewall, so I guess a mac is the same there.

I've also put Eset antivirus on it too. As I no longer own a windows computer I tried the username and password that I got when buying Eset for the PC. Thankfully it works on the mac so I don't have to pay twice for the same product.

I feel happier now.

8. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I would use ClamXav to do an occasional scan, but ESET has been known to cause kernel panics in OS X, from personal experience testing the software (as well as other anti-viruses as well).

There is no point in having an anti-virus app on the Mac until it becomes a necessity. Right now, it really isn't.

9. Pebbleheed thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess it's just the ex Windows user in me, not wanting to risk running without AV.

The software also looks for other forms of malware as far as I can see and I've already paid up until mid 2013 from my old Windows laptop that I no longer have, so I can use the subscription on here without any extra expense.