Firewall and Other Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ellen, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Ellen macrumors regular

Hi, as a new user I have a few questions:

1. Is is advisable to turn on the firewall? I did, and now every time my computer boots and Skype loads, it asks to be accepted. Is there a reason why the setting doesn't last more than one session?

2. My Windows laptop needs to have the hard drive defragmented periodically - is that applicable to OS X? If so I wasn't sure where such a program is located (if it is part of OS X).

3. Also I don't see anything comparable to Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel. I know I can delete an application by dragging its folder to the Trash - but would there be remnants of the program elsewhere that need to be removed too?

Thanks.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

It depends. I turn off the firewall because I use my router as my firewall.

No you don't.
    There really is no need to on your windoze box either - it's just perception.

Nope, nothing else to do.

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

With the firewall turned on, Leopard signs applications to make sure they haven't changed. Skype has problems with this.

Not needed.

Dragging the application to trash is the normal way to uninstall an application if it was installed by dragging somewhere (as opposed to running an install program). This will/may leave user settings and stuff behind, but those files won't slow down the computer or occupy much space. I don't think Add/Remove Programs in Windows removes these kind of files either (it really shouldn't do that anyway).

4. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Forgive my Windows orientation but I always thought a software firewall is recommended even with a router (which I have). Other than the Skype annoyance, is there any downside to using the OS X firewall?

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I'm behind a router and am still using the firewall in Leopard. It is set to "Set access for specific services and applications" and Skype is the only thing I've ever had any problems with. There is no other downside that I'm aware of*.

*) Other than the usual stuff when running firewalls - hunting down applications, opening ports and stuff.