Firewall does not work

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Martin82, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Martin82 macrumors newbie

HI,

I am new in a OS system and have problem with firewall. It just dosnt't work. I just made a simple test by blocking chrome and safari borwser in a system firewall and...i can still browse the web without any problem. I guess there is no option I did something wrong, the system firewall is simple. Any advice or solution? Thank u in advance

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The end user interface of the firewall in Mac OS X is an incoming only firewall. It does not block outgoing connections unless specially configured using advanced commands.

3. Martin82 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok. that's strange. kinda half firewall in my opinion

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It isn't that strange. OS X, being a UNIX system, isn't in much need of having an outgoing firewall. If you really want one, you can research how to properly configure the built in one to any as an outgoing one as well.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Only if you anticipate running malware on your machine and instead of stopping it running you want the firewall to stop outgoing traffic???

You should be in control of what runs on your machine. If you want to monitor and check what is going out as well as in then I'd recommend Little Snitch.

6. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

What are you trying to accomplish? You said the browser was just a test.

7. Martin82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing specific. I am just getting used to OS X. I was trying some features and it was strange for me that it didn't worked as in PC firewalls.

8. Martin82 thread starter macrumors newbie

on the other hand I dont undestand why the broweser works if incoming data is blocked. I am not an IT guy but I think that receiving data to browser from the web is incoming, isnt it? Maybe thats more complicated then i think. Or maybe connection is not same as incoming data.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

It doesn't block all data incoming, it blocks incoming connections (ie where the connection is initiated from outside the firewall). So if you browse OUT on port 80 to a website, the firewall will allow that traffic back in (kinda makes sense, otherwise basic stuff wouldn't work).

However if you were to try and browse TO your machine from then internet it would fail for two reasons, firstly the firewall would block the traffic, secondly you (presumably), don't have a web server on your machine to serve the incoming request even if you didn't have the firewall.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I beleive Window's firewall does the same. It protects your computer from incoming attacks, not outgoing.

If you want something a bit more robust, then consider little snitch

11. Martin82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank u very much. That is a clear explanation for me.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Starting with Windows 7, it blocks out going as well. Vista's can be configured using advanced methods to block outgoing, but it isn't very good at that.

13. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

LOL - clearly Windows is having to assume as many fires within as without :)

14. Abba1 macrumors regular

Also, look at Intego's Net Barrier. It gives lots of control over both incoming and outgoing, and it changes depending on your location.

----------

That's putting it mildly, which is only one reason why Mac is better for the end user despite any current problems.

15. Martin82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind guys, at this point i am going to sent the macbook back. I received 2nd sample with screen problems (1st with yellow gradient, 2nd with pinkish back logo and slightly pinkish screen). Thats not acceptable for me, considering the price and a main feature which is/should be a screen for me.