Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
Currently running an iMac purchased August 2011. I am running OS 10.7.5 and this morning I received a firewall error message that I can't get off my screen. There's atoll free number to call but it goes straight to voicemail. Other than Dafari, the computer runs as it should.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

M
dbfcc79ab88f0ce9fe8c0d70456223bd.jpg

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
I got the pop up thing as my first thought as well. I'm running an ad blocker now. Unfortunately I can't get rid of it. It extends beyond the bottom of the screen and I can't resize it or close it. I've restarted, as well as a couple of shut downs to no avail.

Thanks for the help but I think I need more. :(

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I got the pop up thing as my first thought as well. I'm running an ad blocker now. Unfortunately I can't get rid of it. It extends beyond the bottom of the screen and I can't resize it or close it. I've restarted, as well as a couple of shut downs to no avail.

Thanks for the help but I think I need more. :(

Did you run AdwareMedic?

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
No. I'd have to use Safari to get to the website. My browser is locked so to speak. It won't let me open another tab, or access any of the tabs I currently have open so I don't know how I could get the software. The OS is too old to download Chrome.

Could I download it on another computer and transfer the DMG file via a jump drive?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
No. I'd have to use Safari to get to the website. My browser is locked so to speak. It won't let me open another tab, or access any of the tabs I currently have open so I don't know how I could get the software. The OS is too old to download Chrome.

Could I download it on another computer and transfer the DMG file via a jump drive?

Force Quit Safari if it won't CMD+Q normally. Hold the Shift key and open it again - it should open by itself without reopening previous windows.

Reactions: Weaselboy

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
Update! I just got a call…caller id showed ComputerSupport and an area code of 212 (new york) and a heavily accented man stating he was with Apple. He said to hold down the shift key and open safari which I did and it cleared all my tabs opening up a new window of safari so it looks like it cleared. He had me type in an address which took me to logmein123.com at which point I had alarms going off in my head, especially since he said he wanted to connect me to apple support's website. I told him my baby was crying and I'd call him back.

It didn't feel right.
[doublepost=1486131989][/doublepost]
Force Quit Safari if it won't CMD+Q normally. Hold the Shift key and open it again - it should open by itself without reopening previous windows.

See above message. Your thoughts?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Update! I just got a call…caller id showed ComputerSupport and an area code of 212 (new york) and a heavily accented man stating he was with Apple. He said to hold down the shift key and open safari which I did and it cleared all my tabs opening up a new window of safari so it looks like it cleared. He had me type in an address which took me to logmein123.com at which point I had alarms going off in my head, especially since he said he wanted to connect me to apple support's website. I told him my baby was crying and I'd call him back.

It didn't feel right.

Scam, scam, trying to get logged in... avoid cold calls trying to remote connect from people claiming to do stuff like that. LogMeIn is a legit application though.

Anyway, try run that AdwareMedic application now. Any luck?

Reactions: camardelle

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yes they are trying to scam you.

Open the App Store and purchase (for free) the "wwwDOT! Web Browser", which will run in Lion. From there you can get to the above mentioned AdwareMedic, or at least get Firefox or Chrome and get it via one of those.

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
Looks like my initial suspicions about this were on target then. Sometimes you have to go with your gut. Thanks for the help, it is really appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.