Firewall ignoring Always Allow rules?[10.5.2]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GloStix, May 17, 2008.

1. GloStix macrumors member

This has been bugging me for a long time. It used to be just one program that does it but now it's different.
    Everytime I open Adium (IM client) it always asks if I want to Allow or Deny the connection even though it says Always Allow in the Firewall settings.

I had to get my MBP fixed and I got it back from the Apple store, now I get this same message at start up. for 2 things, 'Allow or Deny, configd' or something and 'Allow or Deny mDNSresponder' or something close to that. I assume these 'services' are used to connect to the internet in the first place and are essential for network connections. Sometimes is doesn't show mDNSresponder and only configd. It's really annoying to keep clicking allow.

It also messes up my Thunderbird client at start up. since it tries to connect via startup and it can't connect if I haven't Allowed or Denied it so It doesn't connect and it locks up because it has to show the error messages 'can't connect to pop.xxxxxxx.com'. so I have to open up thunderbird and click ok 3 times (1 for each account) so I can be able to try again.

I've tried asking in IRC rooms but it's usually filled with Idle/Afk people and the odd retarded person who says 'I like cheese' to everything I ask.

Hope you can help =\
    Thanx

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Can you post a screen grab of you security>firewall window?

3. GloStix thread starter macrumors member

I put them in the attatchments
    Just noting here, I can't manually allow the configd or mDNSresponder because I can't find where it's located.

Attached Files:

4. HappySwitcher macrumors newbie

Same Problem with Excel

I have the same problem but with Excel (2003)

Every time I open it asks me whether I want it to accept incoming network connections.

I have made a rule in the firewall settings but it seems to do nothing.

Interestingly, this problem only began a few weeks ago.

thanks

Mart

5. GloStix thread starter macrumors member

6. GloStix thread starter macrumors member

7. scalimani macrumors newbie

Try deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist (firewall settings) and resetting the PMU. It worked for someone...
    If it doesn't work you can manually add configd, mDNSResponder and racoon in this way:
    command-shift-g (go to folder) and type /usr/sbin
    (it opens the folder "sbin" containing the three processes)
    go to the firewall settings and click on the add button to open the select window and drag configd from the folder "sbin" onto it. Repeat for the other two processes.
    Good luck (it didn't work completely for me)

8. GloStix thread starter macrumors member

Thanks scalimani, I kinda fixed itself, I don't get those messages anymore.
    Although it still asks me everytime I run Transmission and/or Adium.
    Even though I keep Allowing everytime.