Firewall in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ezekielrage_99, Aug 17, 2008.

1. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I just got Leopard the other day (finally), so far it looks nice runs well but I was wondering how and where can you tell if the firewall is working???

I'm a little confused because I can't seem to find it.

2. BioCore macrumors regular

I am also new to the Mac scene, so I might be wrong. But if you go into your System Preferences >> Security >> Firewall (last tab)

You have three different options. And with the third option you can also tell Leopard which exact programs to firewall. Although it is pretty smart to know which ones usually. My guess all the internet types will be fire walled.

I hope this helped you out.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The great thing abou the firewall is it's not there except when you need it.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The third setting is actually medium security but is the most useful. The second setting is for when you are very paranoid, ie using a strange wifi hotspot. The first setting would be only for home use behind a firewall appliance.

Here is an example of what firewall settings looks like...

( ) Allow all incoming connections
    ( ) Allow only essential services
    (*) Set access for specific services and applications
    File Sharing (AFP, SMB)
    Web Sharing
    Remote Login
    Screen Sharing
    --------------------
    safari
    firefox
    etc
    etc
    [+|-]​

Clicking the + allows you to add another program. Clicking the - with a program highlighted removes it from the "allow" list.

hope this helps...

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

so if i was behind a router firewall i would only need to have "Allow all" selected? this would be good as the firewall atm has a hard time remembering which apps are allowed.