Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mb2696

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
i took my macbook pro apart to regrease the chips (running hotter than should be).

now, there seems to be issues with my firewall. i dont know if disconnecting the motherboard battery reset some nvram or something, but i am now having the following issues when the firewall is on:

-ethernet/wireless will not connect, gives itself a 'self-assigned ip' of 169.----

-if i set ip/gateway/netmask/dns manually on ethernet/wireless it works

-this is NOT a router issue as all the other computers on my network are using DHCP with no problem (AEBS)

-other things such as printing to airport printer, accessing airdisk , dont work

-if i disable firewall, everything works.

-all my firewall settings hadn't changed.

any suggestions? i'm having to leave my firewall off in the meantime. thanks!

chrisbeebops

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
i took my macbook pro apart to regrease the chips (running hotter than should be).

now, there seems to be issues with my firewall. i dont know if disconnecting the motherboard battery reset some nvram or something, but i am now having the following issues when the firewall is on:

-ethernet/wireless will not connect, gives itself a 'self-assigned ip' of 169.----

-if i set ip/gateway/netmask/dns manually on ethernet/wireless it works

-this is NOT a router issue as all the other computers on my network are using DHCP with no problem (AEBS)

-other things such as printing to airport printer, accessing airdisk , dont work

-if i disable firewall, everything works.

-all my firewall settings hadn't changed.

any suggestions? i'm having to leave my firewall off in the meantime. thanks!

This isn't a hardware issue... some setting for your firewall probably got corrupted.
Try setting your firewall to "Set access for specific services and applications". Remove all applications entries (so they can be remade). In "Advanced...", check Enable Firewall Logging and uncheck Enable Stealth Mode. Check the log and see if there is anything relevant. Re-enable Stealth Mode if it is working now, and see if it still works.

mb2696

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
yea i had tried removing everything and reallowing it but it didnt work. looking at the look however was a good idea because i figured out that the culprits were: nmblookup, mdnsresponder, and configd. for some reason osx wasn't prompting me to allow/deny. i added them manually to allow and all is good now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.