Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ydmusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Hi,

Since quite a while, there have been multiple issues with using a firewall and internet access problems on my wife's Powerbook. If the firewall is switched on, it is only a matter of time before the internet wifi doesn't work, with all four bands showing, and some sort of "self assigned ip address" showing on the network settings. The only thing that (sometimes) works to get the internet back is to run Onyx, sometimes many times, then after the obligatory restart I know it will work when the firewall asks something about "allow MDSresponder".

Since this happens often, I have just chosen to turn the firewall off completely. With the firewall off, there is never a problem.

Is there a fix to this? Otherwise, should I be concerned about not running a firewall?

Thanks.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Are you using a wireless router for your wifi setup? If so then you almost certainly always have a hardware firewall, which is more then sufficient for most users. Leaving the software firewall off really shouldn't hinder the security of the network much, if at all. Not really sure what is causing your issues with the software firewall other than maybe a bad Airport card or driver. What OS is being run on the PowerBook and what settings are being used for the connection? Are any other computers connected to the wifi that work without issues?

ydmusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
I have a TC and an Airport Express, but the issues have been happening to other wifi routers as well (non-apple). The PB is running 10.5.8, but the problem has been around since about a year with other OS updates. There are no exotic settings on the connection, ie. WPA/WP2 security, DSL connection, etc.

I figure if I could manually "always allow MDSresponder" in the security pane of Mac's firewall, then maybe that would help.

Is there a hardware firewall in a TC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.