Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcin0903

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Hi, I have a problem with my firewall on OS X 10.6.4 - it is asking for permission in few apps (iTunes, Dropbox, Air Video Server), when I asks over and over, of course I added it to the list in the System Preferencys in Security, but still asks, every time I start each app - do you know how to solve my problem :)?

marcin0903

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
On test user account, firewall still asks for Air Video Server, Dropbox, but not for iTunes.. strange..
Do you have any tips?

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
On test user account, firewall still asks for Air Video Server, Dropbox, but not for iTunes.. strange..
Do you have any tips?

Since it still does ask for permission in the test account, I'd recommend doing a Archive and Install of the system because it is a system-wide issue.

In my macbook firewall also asks for permition everytime I open iTunes.

Have no idea to solve.

Uninstall iTunes completely and reinstall it.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Have you tried using Disk Utility to "Repair Disk Permissions" for Macintosh HD (or whatever you renamed your HD).

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
I have the same problem in Leopard (10.5.8). Firewall keeps asking me each time I open Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) even though I have set to deny in system preferences.

Worse, the firewall keeps asking me each time I start or receive a voice or video chat with the Google Video Chat plugin, although I have set it to allow in system preferences. This means that someone initiates a voice chat with me, I accept the chat, and neither of us can hear anything until Mac OS X pops up the window, usually ten seconds later.

marcin0903

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
OK, seems that I have a solution:

1. Log into an Admin account

2. Go to the Firewall under the Security Pane in System Preferences and remove ALL programs listed under "Set access for specific services and applications." (you can try removing just the troublesome apps)

3. Still in the Firewall tab, change setting to "Allow all incoming connections."

4. In the Finder go to your Applications Folder and drag iTunes (or any other offending apps) to the trash and delete from the dock. This SHOULD NOT delete your music, playlists, ratings or anything else, it did not on mine. But BACKUP if you want to be 100% sure

5. In the System Preferences, go to Accounts > Login Items and remove ItunesHelper.

6. Restart your mac and log in as the Admin again.

7. Download any apps you deleted, i.e. iTunes. Link: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

8. Install the apps (don't open them after install)

9. Go back into the firewall settings and change it back to "Set access for specific services and applications."

10. Open iTunes and any other apps you reinstalled.

11. Add iTunes back to the Dock.

This should have fixed the problem, and iTunes should act like nothing ever happened...

We still need to add iTunesHelper back to the Login Items.

12. In the finder go to Applications, and right-click on iTunes, select "Show Package Contents.

13.Open the System Preferences and go to Login Items under Accounts.

14. Back in the finder (the iTunes Package Contents) go to Contents>Resources>iTunesHelper

15. Drag iTunesHelper into the Login Items list.
This worked for me. I don't think it ever asked for permission for iTunes. And I have only been asked once for the other programs that used to ask me everytime.

I tried that with Dropbox and Air Video Server and it works, now I am gonna to do that with iTunes, but if I delete iTunes (in fact reinstall it), will I have to sync my devices again (first it will remove whole content from my iPad/iPhone/iPod, than it will sync library again) or maybe the sync data is stored somewhere else and if I delete iTunes.app I won't have to resync my devices?

EDIT: Just removed iTunes.app and downloaded package with new iTunes from Apple.com, installed (as described above) and now firewall doesn't ask me everytime :) - and also all content from iTunes (sync data, libraries) stayed intact! :)

Boldy6

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Apple Support got me to disable remote app tick box

Hi,

i activated the firewall yesterday and every time i opened itunes it wanted me to allow itunes.app etc like u guys
tech support guy been working on it 2 days and says traced to
itunes/system preferences/devices and had to untick box "look for ipod, iphone ipad remotes" and click on forget remotes
tried itunes no problem, then ticked it again and click ok and no further problem until activate remote app again by passcode etc

so if you dont want it to keep asking you to allow access u need to forget remotes

so i assume this only affects people who use apple remote app ?

maybe thats why reinstalling itunes worked till remote library is used again i reckon
been escalated to engineers i believe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.