Firewall - need or optional?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by svkrzn, Mar 11, 2011.

1. svkrzn macrumors regular

Hello, just wanted to ask anyone if you use a firewall or not, if you use a built-in one or an external program. It's since 1year that i passed from PC to MAC. Previously i always had a firewall software on windows but do i need it on my mac? It was always disabled and i neither ever thought about using it... Just got a dilemma now.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just enable the built-in firewall and you'll be fine.
    He didn't ask about anti-virus. He asked about firewalls. Apples and oranges.

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Check out the Mac Security Suggestions link in my sig to learn about your firewall options in OS X and to get other security tips.

5. svkrzn thread starter macrumors regular

Nice, but why doesn't it remember the permissions i give? I allowed incomming connections for amule, than closed amule and reopened it and my firewall asked for permissions again..

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6: About the Application Firewall

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You don't need one. That applies to 99% of Mac users.

The "application firewall" in System Prefs sucks, but it's better than nothing. 99.95% of Mac users don't need more than that.

If you are paranoid, download the free utility WaterRoof and use it to configure IPFW, which is a great firewall which comes built into every Mac (yet is hidden behind the scenes by Apple.)

8. svkrzn thread starter macrumors regular

i stopped being paranoid since i migrated to mac.

9. waynep macrumors 6502

I think those who say there are no viruses for OSX are you sure?? Throwing Trojan Horses into the same malware category there are a few, very few.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20037158-17.html

But I think they re easy to avoid, by not clocking things in email, not going to certain web sites. So I don't use an anti virus program or firewall yet.

10. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Yes we are sure. How can we be so sure? Because the things you mention are not viruses.

But if you want to talk about those stuffs, there is not a single trojan horse circulating at the moment, and there is not a single trojan horse affecting a patched system at the moment.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quite sure, since trojans and viruses are two different forms of malware. There has never been a virus in the wild that runs on Mac OS X. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install. Read this to understand the differences: