firewall on. how do i turn off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Natzoo, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

how do i turn off fire vault. i don't want it on because i don't know my key and wasn't given one. i just got this mac earlier today. how do i turn it off safely?

Attached Files:

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

On the lower left of that tab, you should see a lock. Click it, enter your password to unlock it and then choose Turn Off Filevalut.

3. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

i did that but it says to finish it first. so when i finish whatever its doing, will i need a code to turn it off?

4. DeltaMac, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No, it's the same drive where you are already logged in. If you want to turn off FileVault (WHY?), then you have to wait until the encryption is complete, then you can turn it back off. (You do need to plug the adapter back in, otherwise you will be waiting a _really_ long time for that to complete. :D )

The recovery key is created automatically as part of the process. It's purpose is as a backup that you can use to unlock the disk in case you forget your login password. If you need a password to turn off FileVault, you would normally use your admin login password

5. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

why is it good to leave it on? it says i need a code and I'm not sure if they gave it to me? what does it do? sorry the previous macs i had, i turned it off and nothing happened.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

When you first turned File Vault on, it gave you the choice to use your iCloud password if you need to reset the password, or to not use iCloud, and FileVault would generate a password for the recovery key.
    You do remember which choice you made, right?
    Either way, you have primary access with your admin password.

7. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

i remember something like that, it gave me an option to make it. i wasn't generated one

8. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

You will have used your iCloud password then, is there a specific reason you don't want it? I personally prefer to secure my data rather than not.

Modern macs have hardware encryption so therefore you don't see much slowdown (overhead) when having file vault on.

9. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

ill keep it, i just wasn't sure what it was and didnt activate it because i was afraid i would forget my password but now i understand it!